Thread: Asked to turn an urn

Asked to turn an urn

Hi All,

I was just asked by a friend to turn an urn for his premature son that passed away shortly after birth - I'm very humbled as I don't have a lot of experience and have never turned an urn before but feel compelled to try, so was hoping for any suggestions/advice for a first-timer. I did warn my friend that it may not turn out but that I would give it a shot!

I have searched SMC and found a number of helpful threads (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ighlight=ashes). There are only 2 cups of ashes and they plan on keeping it indefinitely in their home. I plan on using an ABS threaded insert following this tutorial (https://www.woodturningonline.com/as...s_for_urns.pdf).

Questions:
    - size and shape - with only 2 cups of ashes it could be fairly small, but my wife thinks I should make it much larger than needed. Also, any pictures of favorite forms?
    - wood - any favorite woods you'd recommend (the easier to turn the better)? I normally turn whatever green wood I come upon, but for this I plan on purchasing a nicer piece of dry wood for a better look and to get it done quicker.
    - tips on ABS threaded insert - I've never done it but plan on doing a practice one first - any tips? I've seen epoxy recommended but would another type of glue/adhesive work?

I know these are broad questions but after reading a lot online, I'm just looking for some options/opinions at this point. I'm sure I'll be back with more specific questions as the project gets going!

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom, I have used epoxy with ABS on several pieces, but epoxy doesn’t really bond well with ABS. I would recommend the adhesive recommended for the plumbing application of ABS. It actually melts the surface of the ABS and should bond well to the adjoining wood surface. You should also create shallow grooves in the wood to provide some bite.

As for size, I would think something more like a keepsake urn would be appropriate. The classic ginger jar form would work and is used on a lot of commercially made urns.

Cherry is hard to beat for ease of turning, finishing and color - especially over time.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Just a suggestion but instead of using abs pipe fittings for your threads this guy makes some nice brass threaded inserts that would look so much nicer. https://www.fromwalnuttoantlers.com/...readed-inserts . I made one segmented urn with abs threads in the future anything requiring threads will get one of the brass inserts.

Do you have hollowing gear? Turning an urn usually will require them. Another slippery, expensive slope...…. And lots of tools to choose from.

Actually, you could turn an urn in two pieces and celebrate the join with embellishments. No hollowing tools needed.

Left click my name for homepage link.

When I was at Home Despot a few months ago, I found a 1-1/2" brass fitting that looks better than the ABS piece. I think that it is used to connect between a threaded fitting and a compression fitting for a sink drain. The cost was only around $7-8. It wasn't in the main brass fitting/plumbling area but was where you buy P-trap and disposal fittings. It would need to be cut into 2 pieces with the chrome ferrule or compression ring and nut just tossed. The brass piece has a FM end and a male end (with same TPI and diameter).

Since brass is so soft, it should be possible to part it off using conventional HSS or carbide tools. (I've turned cast iron and cast steel on my wood lathe and it worked fine, so brass should be easier).

Thomas, take a look at John Keeton's post from John C. Campbell and also take a look at his web page for some inspiration. Best of luck!

The urn is not a decoration. Why should it be over sized? Considering the most common use of ABS I would not use it to
    line a urn. I think they can be trusted to not break the urn.

I have marketed dozens of urns to upscale funeral homes over the years. They all were happy with a nicely turned lid glued down with clear silicone glue, done at the funeral home after depositing the ashes. Other people might wish a removable lid but I have had no requests.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Regarding hollowing tools - depending on how big it is and the shape, I was thinking I might not need anything too specialized (though this may be naive of me). I do have an angled carbide hollowing tool that was given to me, and have always planned on getting into hollowing eventually and am contemplating getting something better (I can already feel the vortex pulling....). If anyone has any suggestions as to what basic hollowing tool(s) would be good to start with, I'd be grateful.

I don't have a steady rest, but don't think it will be so big that I would need one, but again, maybe that's just showing my ignorance.

I like the look of the brass inserts more than ABS, though ABS looks good with some woods to me, but will also contemplating no threads and just telling him to glue a lid shut.

I really liked the look of some of the hollow forms from John Keeton's post and was thinking of trying something similar but on a much smaller scale and a bit simpler (also am now looking into taking a course like that...amazing!).

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions. Keep them coming!

Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson80; 04-10-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Tom, if you can take a John Keeton class at John C. Campbell it is well worth your time and money. He's a wonderful instructor.

I have taken a Cremation Urn class from Steve Pritchard at J. C. Campbell Folk School last year, and along with my aspiring guitar building - here's a tip. Acetone painted on the wood where the ABS will meet, and also on the ABS at the future joint, works well. It is what I have done on guitar fretboard and body bindings. The class taught us how to actually use stabilized wood and cut threads in an insert and on the finials.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Passmore View Post
    Tom, if you can take a John Keeton class at John C. Campbell it is well worth your time and money. He's a wonderful instructor.
    Thanks Tim - I was checking out their website after John Keeton posted and would love to try to make it work. So many of the classes interest me so will be a tough choice if I'm lucky enough to do it.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I have taken a Cremation Urn class from Steve Pritchard at J. C. Campbell Folk School last year, and along with my aspiring guitar building - here's a tip. Acetone painted on the wood where the ABS will meet, and also on the ABS at the future joint, works well. It is what I have done on guitar fretboard and body bindings. The class taught us how to actually use stabilized wood and cut threads in an insert and on the finials.
    Thanks for the detailed advice Mark (and everyone else)! I think I will turn a basic hollow form out of some pine glue ups that I made a while ago to test my basic hollowing tool and the ABS to see how it looks/holds.
    I appreciate everyone's advice. Looking forward to trying this.
    Tom