Thread: What do you do with the 6 foot folding rules you break

Blog Entries

What do you do with the 6 foot folding rules you break

I save the pieces and have folding yardsticks. I bet I am the only one to do this.

And when you break the yardsticks? Do you then have folding two-foot, followed by folding one-foot, rules?

I wound up pulling the brass slide from one of the hopelessly broken folding rules I somehow acquired, and find it a helpful short rule for times when I need a rough measurement in a spot too narrow for the usual 6" rule, including a quick depth check on a hole.

I don't know, I haven't broken one ... Yet.

I have never broken my one of my own. In fact I've only been around two that have been broken. I cried both times. This time, I was maybe 10 or 11, and I broke one my father had. I cried when I got backhanded across the face for messing with something he told me to "put down before I broke it". The second time was when my wife was messing with my favorite folding rule. I told her to put it down before she broke it. She did not and it was broken, and again I cried.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Not really sure why anyone would use one. I have three and for me, they just take up space. I don't recall ever using one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Not really sure why anyone would use one. I have three and for me, they just take up space. I don't recall ever using one.
    I use mine pretty much only for inside measurements. Mine has the slide at one end, and it's very handy (and accurate) for measuring how long to cut a board that will be going between two end points, and similar measurements. Yes, it can be done with a tape measure, but the folding rule is simpler.

Blog Entries
    I used to have a 96" folding rule. I will go see if I can find a new one.