Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table saw safety question

On 'over-square ' cuts, I used to tell my guys to "watch the lead edge of the work-piece as it contacts the fence- if you allow it to drift off a sixteenth, you're in trouble."

I like the oversquare rule but it is also key to remember the risk is the workpiece moving away from the fence and getting caught in the blade and thrown. Little saws like the DeWalt are less dangerous for kickback in my opinion, however, because their motor is small enough you can stop the blade with a strong grip on your workpiece even in a kickback situation. But they are more dangerous in another way because the fence is so short. For years I used a Ryobi BT3100 about the size of the DeWalt. I screwed an auxiliary fence of melamine that was longer to it's fence to help it. I also built several bedroom sets and lots of other furniture with it. But I have found my SawStop to be easier to do good work with.

Fence? Back in the good old days (C.1967) I knew nothing about tools, but I got a 9" Atlas TS well used with no fence.

25 years old, second house, first new addition, and I was dumb enough to draw a line on a sheet of plywood and just cut it freehand, all by myself. All the roof sheeting on my addition was cut that way, as well as the paneling for the interior walls.

The only thing that saved me from being a statistic was the saw had an old 1/2 HP motor that would stall when it bound up, which was often.

Ahh, the good old days, when I survived being young and stupid.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Fence? Back in the good old days (C.1967) I knew nothing about tools, but I got a 9" Atlas TS well used with no fence.

25 years old, second house, first new addition, and I was dumb enough to draw a line on a sheet of plywood and just cut it freehand, all by myself. All the roof sheeting on my addition was cut that way, as well as the paneling for the interior walls.

The only thing that saved me from being a statistic was the saw had an old 1/2 HP motor that would stall when it bound up, which was often.

Ahh, the good old days, when I survived being young and stupid.
    Don't get me started, sir.