Thread: New to woodworking super new

New to woodworking super new

Hey yall I'm mat from southern Mississippi New Orleans area. I just started doing wood working and home renovation. Just wanted to say hello and that I have a ton of questions. I have some pics of some of my craftsman trim and a couple of cabinets and boxes I have done but can't figure out how to post them with my phone yet. While I'm really new to woodworking I'm not new to tools and construction I grew up in a plumbing family so I have some experience with tools etc but very little with woodwork tools. I just got into the hobby a few months back

Here is a link to my Facebook that has some of the things I have been working on https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00001702724796

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...24796&sfnsn=mo

For pictures sake I think that's allowed to post if not let me know I'll remove it
    Last edited by mat price; 04-08-2019 at 3:20 PM.

Welcome to the Creek Mat!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Switch from “mobile view” to “Full Site” at the bottom of the page. The “go advanced” allows you to upload photos.

There is a ton of information on this site, please do some searching and see what you find. Then post with questions.

Welcome to the forum!

Window treatment looks great. Of course I am not prejudiced just because it looks a lot like the ones I did.

Welcome
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hey Matt, 30 yrs ww'ing experience here. This is an important subject for me as I made many mistakes starting out. I'll be as brief as possible.

1. Do not buy cheap tools. I fell into the trap of thinking as a newbie I wasn't somehow worthy of high quality tools. That plus I wasn't dedicated enough to make the investment. Low quality tools hinder your skill development, cause frustration, and create doubt in your abilities.

2. There are 3 basic methods to ww'ing: Handtools, machines and hybrid. Like 90% of the ww'ers out there, I fall into the last category. I don't believe there is high level ww'er living that doesn't rely to some extent on hand tools expertise.

The learning curve is not that steep. When you've acquired a basic set of hand tools, you'll learn how to sharpen, tune and use them.

Before you ever buy a machine, I suggest do a few basic projects like a box, a step stool, etc. with hand tools.

3. Safety. Can't stress enough how bad an idea it is to buy a table saw and plunge right in (maybe literally? :-0 without first focusing on safety. Local ww'ing clubs, classes @ Woodcraft stores, etc can usually help with this. Other sources are also available.

4. As say down here, get "edumacated". As I said, many advantages to developing basic HANDTOOL skills - learning about layout, measuring, marking, chiselling, planing, sawing. Visit some tools sites and get familiar with tools (and prepare youself for the cost potential). Examples: Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen, Toolsforworkingwood, Woodcraft are just a few.

I have learned a ton at the "University of YouTube" but one caveat - you'll see a lot of what NOT to do!!. But skilled people like Guys Woodshop, David Beoff, Doucette and Wolfe are great to watch just to see what can be achieved.

Fine Woodworking - IMO the membership fee is worth just the library of videos and articles.

Paul Sellers is a great source for hand tool info.

Thank you Robert. I am an industrial health safety and environmental compliance professional. Its what I do for living so it makes me very happy to see you guys always promoting safety on here. I have done exactly that I have really done a ton of research on just woodworking safety. Specifically router and table saw safety I don't own a router yet I am actually in the research phase of router table and lifts. I do purchase the best tools I can afford and even more than I should spend in some cases. My limiting factor is space I don't have a shop or a garage so everything is stored in my spare bedroom shop and then brought to the driveway for work. No big I just have to spend a little more for rolling stands etc. I'm not new to power tools or construction but new to woodworking tools. I like the hand tools as well.