Thread: How to dry a burl

How to dry a burl

A nice neighbor gave me an oak burl that is approx. 2 feet around and 1 foot tall. It has the natural bark on one side and the chain saw cut on the bottom. How should I dry this, should I coat the fresh cut with anchor seal or just let it dry. Also should I place it cut up or down during drying. Sorry for the questions I just dont want to screw up a nice burl.

Thanks, Greg

I would not attempt to dry anything that large, but would choose a design and cut / turn it oversize and then dry the rough-out (coated with anchor seal).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Myers View Post
    A nice neighbor gave me an oak burl that is approx. 2 feet around and 1 foot tall. It has the natural bark on one side and the chain saw cut on the bottom. How should I dry this, should I coat the fresh cut with anchor seal or just let it dry. Also should I place it cut up or down during drying. Sorry for the questions I just dont want to screw up a nice burl.

Thanks, Greg
    Burls of some species can be dried without problems - I have a couple from big leaf maple. I've dried a number of section of burls from other species successfully - I have one from cherry drying now for about three years with no sign of degrade, but it's a slice through the burl about 2-1/2" thick, sealed all over with two coats of Anchorseal.

However, most oak wood has a tendency to crack and split while drying. Sometimes the wild grain in a burl can serve to prevent checking and cracks from forming but other times all you get is firewood. However, a large chunk like that can take decades to dry. If the oak burl were mine, I'd probably do as suggested and rough turn something with a thick wall then seal and let that dry slowly. And/or cut the burl into smaller pieces and seal and dry those. Anything you can do to slow down the drying generally helps.

JKJ

Thanks for the advise. I have a good flat surface that I can use to make clean cuts on the bandsaw. I will do that then do some rough turnings. I knew that this group would have an answer for me. I will post pictures of the items when finished.