Thread: Pics from John C. Campbell class

Pics from John C. Campbell class

Last week was my spring class at John C. Campbell Folk School. Bob Henrickson assisted me and we had a full class of 10 turners. In previous classes we have had some female turners, but this class was all guys.

The class was about vase forms with proper proportion, good curves and form. Since they were turned in two pieces no hollowing system was required. As the pics show, these guys did an excellent job! The experience levels were mixed, with some having turned more than others. A couple of them had very little experience and none of them had previously attempted anything like this so it was a challenging class for all of them. The finial on the one vase was that turner's first attempt at doing a finial and he did an excellent job. They learned about acrylic texturing, texturing with the Sorby tool as well as the Wagner knurling tool. They also used tools that were new to them, some with steep learning curves.

They were attentive, worked hard, and the results are evidence of their efforts. Bob and I were proud of their work!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (104.6 KB, 174 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (103.6 KB, 157 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (105.0 KB, 169 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (105.0 KB, 157 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (105.9 KB, 149 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (104.4 KB, 139 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (103.0 KB, 141 views)

Left click my name for homepage link.

Great job John. Really like the blue. I so much wanted to attend, but was really unable to due to "life". Maybe next year i will be able.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks Bill, for the comments and thanks to all that have viewed the thread!

Looks to me like you must have had a group of great students. John, if no special hollowing tool were used, exactly what did you and your students use to hollow the two parts? Just bowl gouges?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Pete, we had excellent students - very attentive and followed directions well. The vase forms were 7-10" tall, depending on form, so the depth of hollowing on each portion was only 3-4", so a 42* ground 1/2" spindle gouge or even a bowl gouge worked. I even used your hook tool as a possibility, but it is far more suited to wet wood. The best tool for that type of work seems to be a Hunter 5/8" tapered shaft Badger with the #3 cutter on it. It is relatively catch free and works really well with a 1/2" hole drilled to approximate max depth. The Hunter is a bit hesitant to "self start" in a solid center that deep in a form and the hole helps provide an edge on which to start a cut. I also had a Termite #2 that a couple of the students liked, but it does not retain an edge as long as the Hunter, which lasts a long time before needing to be rotated.

Thanks for the update John. Sure looks as if your students had a blast!! I do just about all my hollowing with a dedicated holding system or two but now you have me thinking that maybe I should look closer that the 5/8" tapered shaft Badger. Or . . . maybe make my own which of course it what I really like to do.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Your artistry and technical skills are obviously transferrable to your students. Well done John and students!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Awesome work John.

I've been to the school several times but never been able to take a class there. When my wife retires in another 2 years I hope to relocate somewhere in that area and maybe then I can take a class.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Pete, Ken and Marshall- thanks for taking time to comment. Ken, I know you vividly recall my entry into the turning world. I have found I enjoy teaching as much as actual turning and Marshall, as you have discovered the Folk School is a wonderful environment located in a beautiful area. I am sure you would really enjoy living in the area and locals get a break on tuition as well. I hope to see you there someday.

Excellent job John. I am always amazed at how much good work the students produce in a week at the Folkschool. It's really fun seeing all the work from other classes on Friday night. I may have to try and teach again. I'm trying to get my wife interested in taking a class. She's never done anything like that and I think she would enjoy it. If we could find a class on the same week I teach that might make it affordable for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    Excellent job John. I am always amazed at how much good work the students produce in a week at the Folkschool. It's really fun seeing all the work from other classes on Friday night. I may have to try and teach again. I'm trying to get my wife interested in taking a class. She's never done anything like that and I think she would enjoy it. If we could find a class on the same week I teach that might make it affordable for us.
    Have you taken her down for a visit? Every time I walk around the campus and visit the studios I get inspired. I would love to take classes in blacksmithing, ceramics, paper arts, needle felting, weaving, carving, jewelry, baskets, leather work...

JKJ

John, where is this school located, I've only ever read about it on here?

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    John, where is this school located, I've only ever read about it on here?
    Len
    Brasstown NC -- in the westernmost tip of North Carolina, near the Tennessee and Georgia state lines.

https://www.folkschool.org/index.php

It's a beautiful area and campus. A wide variety of classes are offered. The students in the class did some great work. I've always enjoyed the weeks I've spent there, both as John's assistant and as a student in other classes. Definitely a great place to go!