Thread: Rotary Bitmap Engraving with EZ Cad

Rotary Bitmap Engraving with EZ Cad

So is it just plain impossible to engrave a bitmap image onto something that is on a rotary? I'm trying to use rotary mark like I normally would, the red laser won't even show up but for literally a half second.

Pretty sure the answer is no. Seems like it should be possible, but who knows. Kinda like C02 rotary's, most I know of can't/won't run vector engraving, even though theory and basic mechanics seem to indicate otherwise... Data flow issues is my guess.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Kinda like C02 rotary's, most I know of can't/won't run vector engraving, even though theory and basic mechanics seem to indicate otherwise... Data flow issues is my guess.
    You need to get current Kev! You can certainly vector cut on CO2 rotary devices. I've made a couple of clear acrylic tube bird feeders over the years with them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

@Shane Use SplitMark fort bitmaps on the rotary. Depending on how your rotary is setup x/y you may need your enable Y scanning in one of the bitmap settings. I'm not at my computer so can't looking the exact setting but it does work. Be sure to import your bitmap at the resolution you want to engrave like 300dpi. The dpi settings in ezcad are ignored when you use the rotary.

Let us know how it turns out.
    RayFine Fiber Laser (JPT M6+, Sino Galvo head)
    RayFine RF-1390 100w EFR
    Blast Cabinet, Vinyl Cutter, Sublimation Equipment, CNC

Well, I wish any of my 3 C02 rotary's would vector, but not even the servo-motored GCC rotary will vector. But oh well...

However, I did find out that using the SplitMark2 function - which I hope is the same on never versions of EzCad- DOES work-!

I rarely do bitmaps/photos on my fiber so I'm not sure of best settings---
    this is a pencil drawing of a Lab, I just made it dithered at 300dpi for the test-
    This 50cal shell I guessed at 30mm dia, it's more like 20 so the dog is squashed vertically,
    but who cares, it worked!
    bitmap rotary.jpg

Because it engraved the 'white' background, I adjusted the pixel power adjustment
    down to 25 on the low scale (I think), which fixed the problem on this shot glass,
    which I entered the correct dia as 38.5mm, and the size works---
    bitmap rotary2.jpg

--the rotary moves for every scanned line of the image, just as a C02 would-!

As for settings in the splitmark menu: I set up my rotary exactly as if it was in a C02 machine, chuck left of center, chuck opening facing right-
    In RotaryMark this requires the base settings to be: axis=Y, inverted=yes -
    -
    these settings mean rotation is on the Y axis, and what you see onscreen will be in the same X-Y planes visually,
    INVERTED means the the splits will engrave in the correct order. If not inverted, "ABC" engraved around the outside of a cylinder would engrave backwards as "CBA"- the engraving itself is fine, just the order of engraving is reversed! Now, if you engrave with chuck RIGHT open LEFT, then not inverted would engrave correctly. This also pertains to engraving INSIDE a cylinder, like on rings; since the bottom of a cylinder rotates opposite the top, then on my machine I have to make invert=NO.

--sorry--

So, assuming your XY-invert settings are a go, there's nothing fancy to do in the SplitMark2 menu- I found that NOTHING matters except the diamater setting, none of the other options, even the split size you enter, makes a difference doing a bitmap, I assume because, like in flat mode, the program determines the scan-line distance.

2 things I did find of importance:
    First, DON'T hit F1 while in the splitmark menu, because F1 doesn't redlight, instead IT STARTS THE LASERERING, just like F2! Newer version of EzCad may have fixed this issue, but -?
    Second- No matter where onscreen you have a graphic placed, the machine will consider it as being placed dead-center on-screen. This means you can't have 2 graphics on screen side by side and engrave one first, and the other one second and have them placed side by side on your part, what will happen is both will be moved to the centerline and engraved in exactly the same place. You CAN move things around in normal rotary marking, and maybe even non-bitmaps can be moved in splitmark and work okay, but no matter where I moved that bitmap-dog, it engraved in exactly the same place! On the shotglass, to get the second dog up and left, I had to move the whole rotary!

Have fun!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 04-14-2019 at 1:18 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

6. yes itīs possible, use split mark 2 instead rotary mark

7. wrong.. to engrave BMP images in rotary mode simply use split mark 2 instead of rotary mark

8. finally a good answer!!!!!! i have the same problem, when pressing f1 the laser starts lasering.... but finally i can engrave bmp files in rotary mode

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Well, I wish any of my 3 C02 rotary's would vector, but not even the servo-motored GCC rotary will vector. But oh well...

However, I did find out that using the SplitMark2 function - which I hope is the same on never versions of EzCad- DOES work-!

I rarely do bitmaps/photos on my fiber so I'm not sure of best settings---
    this is a pencil drawing of a Lab, I just made it dithered at 300dpi for the test-
    This 50cal shell I guessed at 30mm dia, it's more like 20 so the dog is squashed vertically,
    but who cares, it worked!
    bitmap rotary.jpg

Because it engraved the 'white' background, I adjusted the pixel power adjustment
    down to 25 on the low scale (I think), which fixed the problem on this shot glass,
    which I entered the correct dia as 38.5mm, and the size works---
    bitmap rotary2.jpg

--the rotary moves for every scanned line of the image, just as a C02 would-!

As for settings in the splitmark menu: I set up my rotary exactly as if it was in a C02 machine, chuck left of center, chuck opening facing right-
    In RotaryMark this requires the base settings to be: axis=Y, inverted=yes -
    -
    these settings mean rotation is on the Y axis, and what you see onscreen will be in the same X-Y planes visually,
    INVERTED means the the splits will engrave in the correct order. If not inverted, "ABC" engraved around the outside of a cylinder would engrave backwards as "CBA"- the engraving itself is fine, just the order of engraving is reversed! Now, if you engrave with chuck RIGHT open LEFT, then not inverted would engrave correctly. This also pertains to engraving INSIDE a cylinder, like on rings; since the bottom of a cylinder rotates opposite the top, then on my machine I have to make invert=NO.

--sorry--

So, assuming your XY-invert settings are a go, there's nothing fancy to do in the SplitMark2 menu- I found that NOTHING matters except the diamater setting, none of the other options, even the split size you enter, makes a difference doing a bitmap, I assume because, like in flat mode, the program determines the scan-line distance.

2 things I did find of importance:
    First, DON'T hit F1 while in the splitmark menu, because F1 doesn't redlight, instead IT STARTS THE LASERERING, just like F2! Newer version of EzCad may have fixed this issue, but -?
    Second- No matter where onscreen you have a graphic placed, the machine will consider it as being placed dead-center on-screen. This means you can't have 2 graphics on screen side by side and engrave one first, and the other one second and have them placed side by side on your part, what will happen is both will be moved to the centerline and engraved in exactly the same place. You CAN move things around in normal rotary marking, and maybe even non-bitmaps can be moved in splitmark and work okay, but no matter where I moved that bitmap-dog, it engraved in exactly the same place! On the shotglass, to get the second dog up and left, I had to move the whole rotary!

Have fun!

I'm new to fiber laser marking and was wondering if you could tell me what version of Ezcad you are using to get either bitmaps or vector files to mark on the rotary?
    I have some parts that ar about .724 in Dia, and my intention is to deep engrave a spiral pattern and logo on them. I have a 30W fiber.
    And I just downloaded the 2.14.11 version of Ezcad. I know how to use the text mark feature well enough, as I have marked about 300+ SS tumblers.
    But trying to get the pattern thing figured out has me stumped.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Please allow me to ask questions here.

The rotary marking of the photograph cannot be done at the position specified by EZCAD.

I am using EZCAD (2.14.11).
    I would like to mark a photo
    When trying to make a rotary marking with SPLITMARC2,
    Cannot mark at the specified position.
    Actually, it will be marked at the center position (X = 0, Y = O).

I tried the photos with BMP, JPG, PNG, but they were all the same.
    I was able to mark at the specified position by marking on a flat surface without using a rotary.
    By the way, in the vector, it is possible to mark the specified position on both the rotary and the plane of SPLITMARC2.

I'm sorry for my poor English.
    I would be grateful if you could tell me if you knew the solution.