Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many projects do you guys usually have going on at one time?

It's a sad story, I was diagnosed with MPD "multiple project disorder" The pain is real...not so much for me but my wife..

Way to many... Most of the time I'm waiting for parts to finish the job... Jobs...

I can only do one at a time. Or else I forget measurements or the original idea I had. Plus I mainly woodwork in the winter. I like to save the summers for motorcycle riding and being outside.

One wood working project at a time for me. I am 'task completion' oriented. If a project stalls I can always find something else in life to do while waiting for whatever.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    You can never have too many projects 15% completed...
    You've been in my shop!

In an ideal world, I would only have one project at a time, but realistically, it is more often 2 - 4 at any given time. Sometimes it is unexpected, time-sensitive jobs, and sometimes the wife suddenly decides she needs to make something crafty in the shop, or maybe one project needs to wait a couple weeks for materials to come in.

I've recently had 5 going at once (2 paying jobs, 1 maintenance, 1 of mine, 1 of the wife's) and that is about the max the shop can handle space-wise.

I should probably clarify that I only have 1 major project going on at one time. If I need a break I'll hit my lathe. Sometimes I'm stumped on a design and need time to think about it. Rarely do I make anything to sell. If that's the case, it gets 100% attention. If I'm waiting for something to dry I'll cut or mill down stock for another project. The scroll saw thing is just a relaxing end of day project.

There are a million things I could do to my shop to make it better. Like racks for spray cans, quart cans, and other space saving organizable things. Lumber and log storage. But where's the fun in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I only have one project on the go at one time.

My shop's too small for any more...............Rod.
    Same with me and I have a hard enough time keeping 1 going. Looking forward to retirement....
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

So many that I am not taking on anything else for the rest of my life.

Blog Entries
    Three to five seems about right. Hobbyist and work in the garage so I usually do everything That’s loud during the day on the weekend and save various other task that are not too noisy for weekday evenings after work. I basically plan ahead to make sure I always have something to work on when I come home from work for an hour or two to help me unwind from the day.

The farm tends to get in the way of woodworking projects. Right now need to get the cows ready for pasture, which includes working the calves and vaccinating cows, debugging and worming, right now treating them for cochcitiosis, but lined up the vet for Monday, getting to be wearing as I get older, and need some help, then sort and haul them to pasture. Also need to replace some posts and put up a few rolls of new wire. Planning to replace 3/4 mile of fence this spring as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I cant stick to one. Too much waiting for stuff to dry, cure, frustration, need to go out and get something, etc.

I typically have 3-5 going on at any one time and my next project is always in my head. Right now I'm making a coffee table, a scroll saw thingy, an epoxy colored pencil vase, a small patio bar, and there is always something on my lathe.
    Right now...I have....

Two machine restorations, an Oliver 192 Bandsaw and a Whitney 177 table saw.

About a dozen turning projects.

Three pieces of furniture....

One glass front book shelf, one sideboard, and a plant stand.

Helping a friend with a 24 inch planer restoration

Helping a friend rewire his workshop

Helping a friend hand dovetail a ton of drawers

3 guitars I am slowly building when i have time.

No grass grows under my feet.

Chris

Exactly my own mood for the same reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I only have one project on the go at one time.

My shop's too small for any more...............Rod.
    A small shop and the desire to live simpler push me towards a single project at time - with rare situations where I had a couple of them.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Normally 3-4 at a time. Currently building out 2 Sprinter vans into campers. So there are a multitude of projects for each. I’m always gluing up cutting boards to have a stock pile ready to go. Lots of resin tables lately as well.

As always, I’m having an absolute blast with every single project!

One furniture project at a time but house projects take precedence and repairs get worked in all the time.