Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many projects do you guys usually have going on at one time?

How many projects do you guys usually have going on at one time?

I cant stick to one. Too much waiting for stuff to dry, cure, frustration, need to go out and get something, etc.

I typically have 3-5 going on at any one time and my next project is always in my head. Right now I'm making a coffee table, a scroll saw thingy, an epoxy colored pencil vase, a small patio bar, and there is always something on my lathe.

Michael, assuming these are for yourself and not for sale ... how many do you finish? ... and within a reasonable time frame?

Regards from Perth

Derek (no more than 1 on the go, set aside if something urgent comes up, and then returned to).

2 or more depending on time available to fill in between waiting times. Also depends on the size of a project. If I am making 40 windows I don't start anything else for example. The key for me is to use all the available time efficiently. Cheers

I only have one project on the go at one time.

My shop's too small for any more...............Rod.

Blog Entries
    I stick to one furniture based project at a time. that being said, a kitchen worth of cabinets counts as one project.
    Picture frames count as a batch project.
    window sash, batch project.
    Instruments have been know to get built in threes as the process makes sense.

I try to complete one active project at a time. reset then start the next. If you always have a project being sanded you will never get anything finished...

I need to adopt this rule for cars as well...
    Now the planning stage? that looks more like an air traffic controllers computer screen.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

2 at most. Usually a restoration project or shop project, and a piece of furniture.

If I spend too much time away from a project I may forget where my workflow was, or forget that I said to myself “don’t forget to do X before Y”.

But having something else to work on for a time does reinvigorate me when I return to the other project.

But if I have a commissioned piece, that becomes priority #1.

Historically, it was typically one project with an occasional alternative task slipped in. Now that I have the CNC...which is like having a second person sometimes...I can often be working on two or more projects simultaneously. The biggest challenge is maintaining focus on what one is working on in the moment and...not mixing projects up when it comes to measurements, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just one. But since it involves filming, creating plans, and writing an article, it feels like many. When I have to pause for drying, clamping, etc I just get started on the editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I cant stick to one. Too much waiting for stuff to dry, cure, frustration, need to go out and get something, etc.

I typically have 3-5 going on at any one time and my next project is always in my head.
    Same here. Currently have at least six going. Finishing doors for one job(cabinets previously done), Building miter frame doors for another client(plus finishing them), two furniture projects and one shop cabinet in the works. Doing spray finishing with lacquer seems to leave plenty of time for other things. I do have a finish room as don't have to worry about sawdust.

I get more completed and faster by having several projects going at one time. After forty some years of this, it's a way of life.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 04-09-2019 at 1:37 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

You can never have too many projects 15% completed...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I only have one project on the go at one time.

My shop's too small for any more...............Rod.
    Ditto. Sometimes I'll have something going on the cnc and on the bench.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

At the moment, three. But I don't like it and it is only because of waiting for other individuals to do their part. At the moment, "my" project is the table saw rear extension cabinet. I've completed the construction, everything that gets stained if done, and I'm in the process of applying the polyurethane.

My husband wanted a custom bench to go by his small vertical mill, and the carcase is complete for that. I'm waiting for him to determine the layout of the drawers so I can build the drawer boxes and fronts.

Finally, our son needed a new kitchen, and we built and installed all the carcases and drawer boxes. I'm waiting for him to determine handle/knob placement so I can finish up the drawer fronts and bore the hinge holes for the doors.

I have at least 3-4 things going on at once pretty well all the time. When creative genius strikes... start something else. No it just seems that waiting a day or two or a week for whatever ,I will work on something different while I wait. Building my shop and then adding machines and selling others,all while figuring out efficient work flows and what does and does not work. Throw in dust collection systems that need parts and mods as machines come and go. At least it is all coming together now,and I am living the dream. Would not have it any other way,I will never be bored.

One or two projects at a time for me.
    If it really challenging only one.
    I make less mistakes working on one.
    Aj

Between the honey do's, the needed repairs, my want to do's and my need to dos I have way too many. I try not to count them because it's too depressing. I just try to push forward on whatever seems to be hot at the time, hoping I can complete it before getting side tracked so I can get some time in on something that I want to do before she discovers that I have finished something.

Charley