Thread: Grizzly Jointer G0865 8" x72

Grizzly Jointer G0865 8" x72

I see that the Grizzly G0865 8x72" Spiral cutter Jointer with mobile base is on sale.

Anyone have experience with it or the older model with spiral cutter??

Thanks.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Nevermind. This isn't the parallelogram model (G0858). I thought the price seemed low.
    Last edited by Chapel Eastland; 04-09-2019 at 4:47 PM.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

I currently own the G0490X. I've had it for a number of years and I've been very pleased with it. Although this is the first jointer I've owned it's very quit with the spiral head. I do check my fence Everytime I use it. Hooked up to a good dust collector I don't have any issues with chips clogging up. Just like every tool I own I wish at the time I could afford a larger model like a 16". But being a weekend worrior in wood working it's a perfect fit. I've also have a Grizzly 20" planer, 14" bandsaw and a dust collector that I turned into a cyclone and vent the fines outside. I did blow a capacitor on the jointer and Grizzly had a replacement to me within the week. I know there is better equipment out there but I can assure you that I can make some nice things with my grizzly tools and Ryobi drill sets. I've got friends with Felder tools and I must say they are top notch but I produce nicer products with my set up.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    I've got friends with Felder tools and I must say they are top notch but I produce nicer products with my set up.

Bill
    Thanks for the reply. I'm wanting the G0858 and it's about 2 grand and no used ones to be found.

But you hit the nail on the head with the above quote. After a certain level of quality tools, it's the craftsman that truly makes the difference. There's many times that after the expensive tools are brought and bragged about, the workshop never sees the owner.

Thanks again.

I don't think you can go wrong with the jointer. The thing about Grizzly is take your time setting them up and check them often.
    Last edited by William A Johnston; 04-09-2019 at 5:23 AM.

I bought the G0868 8" parallelogram model about six months ago and absolutely love it. It came almost completely assembled in a crate but was manageable on my own. The jointer is mobile, to be sure, but is quite heavy so I don't move it much. It makes a very smooth cut on at least white oak, black walnut, hard maple and poplar. I was a bit concerned about the lever table adjustment, in that I wasn't sure I'd be able to effectively make small adjustments, but that was an unfounded concern. The table is quite stout and supports longer pieces of wood well. The spiral cutter head works much quieter than my previous 6" straight-blade jointer.

Someone gifted me a Grizzly 10% off coupon, which I used. The jointer was delivered about ten days after I ordered it. I think you'll be pleased when you get it. I certainly am.

I bought the straight knife version of this, the G0857. There hasn't been much in the way of reviews on the G0857 or 858, I intend to do a detailed one once I've had some more time on the machine. High points for now: I am happy with the purchase. Good fit and finish, tables were flat to within 0.003, fence flat to within 0.002 and not twisted. Came well aligned, but I decided to adjust it to as close to perfect as I could, and the adjusting process is predictable and intuitive, no hair-pulling moments at all. The machine runs smoothly, but the cutterhead makes a noticeable air-raid siren noise that becomes an actual siren when you turn on the dust collector. It's very loud, wife says it's louder in the house than the lunchbox planer. The sound is just from the air moving around the cutterhead, not bearings or anything. This may not be an issue with the spiral head version- can anyone confirm? In fact I may end up getting a spiral head just to quiet it down, otherwise I would slightly prefer straight knives.

One thing to note, Grizzly's website listed the shipping weight as ~380 lbs, causing people to think the machine was lightly built vs. the G0490, but that weight is not accurate. The actual shipping weight is ~490 lbs according to UPS (and is also listed at that in the owners manual). The crating is pretty light so the machine is actually quite heavy. The machine does come assembled, so you can get it in operation pretty quickly once its off the crate. The mobile base is not very good- none of the wheels swivel so to turn the machine you have to kind of lift and scoot one end. Also only has maybe 1/2" or less of ground clearance. Better than nothing I suppose.

Blog Entries

This thread was confusing. The G0865 is a bench grinder and the G0868 doesn't show up at all??? Be that as it may, it is too bad the G0490 clones are hard to come by. A decade or so ago the G0490X was the sweet spot between price and quality. Mine has done nothing but work since I got it (based on many forum recommendations) in 2008. It had all the things on my "must have" list:

• Long parallelogram beds
      • I never wanted to mess with DT ways again

• Spiral head
      • I can set knives pretty quick but, the $$$ savings over time can't be beat

• Tall fence
      • I use a jointer for more than just edge jointing

I wonder if the G0858 is supposed to usurp the 490 with less inserts, lighter weight and a higher price?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-09-2019 at 9:01 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I might be wrong but I think the 858 is replacing the 490X. If I'm correct the 490 was made in China and the 858 is made in Taiwan. While the price is higher for the 858 than the 490X, compared to other manufacturers' jointers it's a quality product at less cost. I've looked at Jet and Powermatic jointers, but was told by two different salesmen that the Powermatic has issues with its fence lock never returning to square. I have no workshop experience with either Jet or Powermatic.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ile-Base/G0858

I have a G0490X that I like a lot.

One difference between these two jointers is that the 490 has a serpentine belt while the other has a V belt. For me the serpentine belt is an advantage, if it is used in place of multiple V belts, as is the case on my 5HP table saw.

Perhaps a non issue if only one V belt is used, which may be the case with the G0856.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 04-09-2019 at 8:36 PM.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

11. Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This thread was confusing. The G0865 is a bench grinder and the G0868 doesn't show up at all???
    I think he is referring to the G0856.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ile-Base/G0856 Made in Taiwan, ISO 9001 Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    I think he is referring to the G0856.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ile-Base/G0856 Made in Taiwan, ISO 9001 Factory.
    You are correct. It was the G0856.

By the way, my new G0513X2BF bandsaw arrived today. Beautiful machine and I look forward to many years of using it.

I have and use the Grizzly G0656 jointer for many many years, a superb machine, easy to set up and very easy to use. I am still using the original straight blades and I use this machine almost daily. After so many years the blades are finally in need of sharpening but still performs really really well. I am considering a change to the spiral heads but the straight blades have served very well. Keep in mind I also have a sawmill so I do really use my jointer a lot. Highly recommended!!

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    I currently own the G0490X. I've had it for a number of years and I've been very pleased with it. Although this is the first jointer I've owned it's very quit with the spiral head. I do check my fence Everytime I use it. Hooked up to a good dust collector I don't have any issues with chips clogging up. Just like every tool I own I wish at the time I could afford a larger model like a 16". But being a weekend worrior in wood working it's a perfect fit. I've also have a Grizzly 20" planer, 14" bandsaw and a dust collector that I turned into a cyclone and vent the fines outside. I did blow a capacitor on the jointer and Grizzly had a replacement to me within the week. I know there is better equipment out there but I can assure you that I can make some nice things with my grizzly tools and Ryobi drill sets. I've got friends with Felder tools and I must say they are top notch but I produce nicer products with my set up.

Bill
    Yeah....a lot of times people over spend on tools and don't spend enough time on actual project execution. Those tools should do everything you could ask.