Thread: Some fun with dumpster wood and firewood

Some fun with dumpster wood and firewood

I borrowed ideas from several wood-turners to make these and while they were not totally my ideas they were a lot of fun to make. First was made with a good grade of plywood and walnut off my property. The second was a dumpster find from a 100+ year old building being demolished in my home town (pine). The third was made from a log on my firewood pile (oak)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Resourceful! I especially like the contrast and patterns in the first one.

Another source of free wood: a local place deals in granite for counter tops and such. They get things in from overseas on pallets made from local wood, exotic wood to us. This place breaks down all the pallets and frames and puts all the wood in a big bin inside the building, free for the taking. I've pulled out some very interesting pieces and used some for turning. The species are unknown - some some are fine dense, fine-grained. Seems like they would be perfect for segmented things.

I like to pay attention when I spit firewood. This is from a piece of white oak that caught my eye:

whiteoak_bowl.jpg

JKJ

Yes I like white oak, I think it has some of the most interesting grain of all the woods. This was also from a firewood pile that the owner was having trouble splitting.

I live near a sawmill with piles of scrap. A lot of chunks of green oak and pine scraps. Found some dry pieces without much checking. Turned a nice bowl with a piece of oak. Not bad for a rookie. Got a little too aggressive on the one bowl that had a lot of interesting grain in it. It's all good.

Isn't it amazing what beauty you can find hidden in a discarded piece of wood!

I'm not a segmenter, but I really like the first one. Great job.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.