Thread: Won my NCAA Bracket Pool . . . Looking for a Good End Vice and Straight Edge

Won my NCAA Bracket Pool . . . Looking for a Good End Vice and Straight Edge

With Virginia winning on Saturday night and Michigan State losing, I'm the last one standing in my bracket pool, which will net me about $450. So, I'm thinking of some shop upgrades. My work bench needs some enhancements. I don't have a vice or any system of bench dogs and hold fasts. My current bench is 72" long, 33" wide, and 33" high and modeled after the Cecil Braeden's "Rock-Solid Plywood Bench" featured in FWW in 2006. But I've long grown frustrated with no good method for securing pieces of various sizes for sanding, handplaning, etc.

What would you recommend for an end vise (and what should I be looking for in an end vice) and what source do you recommend for bench dogs and hold fasts (some users complained that the blue paint on those from Rockler rubs off onto work pieces).

I also do not have any decent straightedge or level. These things come in a variety of price points, and it's very difficult to discern what one is getting for the money. I'm looking for a high-quality 4-foot ruled straight edge (and it would be a bonus if it doubled as a level). Thoughts or recommendations?

Can't offer any suggestions on the end vise, but for the straight edge it depends what level of accuracy you want. I have a Starrett 12", 18", 24", 36" and 48" precision ground straight edges because it's what I wanted. But you don't have to get this level of precision if you don't want it. The 4' runs around $320. Lee Valley and Woodpecker have very nice straight edges that are very accurate. However, these don't have a level bubble in them. The one with the levels are accurate to an extent, but not as accurate as the ones from Starrett, Lee Valley, or Woodpecker.

For the straight edge, look at the ones that carpet installers use. Recently (I think it was here) was a thread about using one. Remember you are doing woodworking, not machining.