Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new kitchen faucet-what to buy?

Blog Entries

Need a new kitchen faucet-what to buy?

Our kitchen faucet water control is broken. Since it's 12 years old I assume replacement parts are not available. While looking around the internet I saw a new kitchen faucet that was $3,300 ! That is NOT what I want. The current faucet is a Grohe (as was the $3,300 one). Any thoughts on what might be a quality faucet at a reasonable (say $400 or less) price?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Grohe faucets come with a lifetime warranty. If they don't still have the current model, they'll give you an equivalent one. I have a Grohe kitchen faucet (NOT the $3300 one) & think they are very good quality.

Blog Entries
    I went with the Moen from HD when I did my kitchen remodel 4 years ago, still running strong. https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Kad...B&gclsrc=aw.ds Key feature I like is the pull down spout, so much easier to use for rinsing the sink or pots than the old fashioned sprayer. Son just bought one with the spring like a commercial sink, but not nearly as user friendly for washing stuff down the drain.
    NOW you tell me...

A year ago we installed a Delta Cassidy that we are very happy with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Grohe faucets come with a lifetime warranty. If they don't still have the current model, they'll give you an equivalent one. I have a Grohe kitchen faucet (NOT the $3300 one) & think they are very good quality.
    Frank
    Thanks for the reply,I spoke with Grohe,my faucet is not covered by a warranty
    Dennis
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    We have had two Kraus faucets and they are great. Customer service is top notch. The first one had a problem with the head liming up due to our very hard water. They happily sent me a new head every six months. It got to where they were sending them two at a time. We have a water softener now. I see that they've changed the head design. I don't know if it would be a problem or not.

We also have had two Kraus SS sinks. I like single basin sinks that I can put a half sheet pan in and scrub. Old style double basins are of no use to me. Also, the Krause sink comes with two features that we really like. First, it has a very deep basket strainer that eliminates any need for a disposal. The depth means that you only need to empty it once in a while. The second is a rack over the bottom that suspends your stuff off the bottom. We didn't think we would use it at first but love it. You can easily drain things. Also, it provides ridges so you can lean things up and they won't fall.

Our sink is an undermount SS. I can get in there and really scrub it down without worrying about messing up porcelain.

Here's the sink.
    http://www.kraususa.com/kitchen/kitchen-sinks/stainless-steel-kitchen-sinks/khu101-23-23-inch-undermount-single-bowl-16-gauge-stainless-steel-kitchen-sink.html

Here's the faucet
    http://www.kraususa.com/kitchen/kitchen-faucets/commercial-style-faucets/single-lever-pull-out-kitchen-faucet.html

Blog Entries

I am an idiot

So when the faucet broke I assumed it was a Grohe since that is what is in the bathrooms. So I spoke with Grohe and sent them a picture of it...guess what , it's a Moen😊 the plumber is here now fixing ( yes fixing, not replacing) it.
    By the way the plumber strongly recommends Moen as parts are readily available
    Thanks for the advice
    Dennis

I'd look for one that uses ceramic disk cartridge valves rather than o-rings or washers. Most manufacturers offer them on their better models. As far as I can tell they last forever.

We got a used but like-new, very nice KWC stainless steel faucet that sold at the discount plumbing supply places for $1600 at the local ReStore for $100. Worth a look if you have one nearby. Buying the matching soap dispenser at retail was painful, though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    So when the faucet broke I assumed it was a Grohe since that is what is in the bathrooms. So I spoke with Grohe and sent them a picture of it...guess what , it's a Moen the plumber is here now fixing ( yes fixing, not replacing) it.
    By the way the plumber strongly recommends Moen as parts are readily available
    Thanks for the advice
    Moen & Delta are safe bets because the parts are readily available, but the quality of both is pretty poor.

Blog Entries
    Any thoughts on what might be a quality faucet at a reasonable (say $400 or less) price?
    That is out of my league. My wife starts to flinch when they get above $40.

Glad to hear yours is being repaired instead of replaced. My tendency is to not buy anything that can not be repaired by a handy homeowner like myself.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have a brother in law who is a former plumbing rep . He likes the American Standard with ceramic swivel and lifetime
    warranty . Ours is holding up well. Took me a long time to figure out that seeing lots of available parts is convenient ....
    but not always a good sign.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Have a brother in law who is a former plumbing rep . He likes the American Standard with ceramic swivel and lifetime
    warranty . Ours is holding up well. Took me a long time to figure out that seeing lots of available parts is convenient ....
    but not always a good sign.
    The plumber told me that the original purchaser ,with a purchase receipt, gets a lifetime warranty with a Moen product
    Dennis

Watch out I bought a name brand faucet with a pull out spout that swiveled for some reason. It looked cool and could be angled without having to pull it out and hold it. The little swivel had a hole less the 1/4" diameter so there was very little flow. took several minutes to fill a pan. I returned it the same week I installed it.
    I think California is home of low flow water saving faucets. I like my my low flow toilet by Amercian Standard. It flushes better then any older style since it has a 4" flush valve with cast in ports to fit.
    Bill D

danze.jpg
    We bought this Danze faucet setup about 5 or 6 years ago. Very impressed with it, the lever still works very smoothly, unlike many that get 'grabby' from calcium deposits or worn seals, no leaky's, and still looks like new...

And who said low-flow... What a farce-- Ok, for the bathroom, YES a low flow makes sense because we like to let the water run while we're brushing our teeth and shaving and all, and a little less water out of the showerhead won't be noticed much... But a low-flow in a kitchen faucet is just plain stupid. There's usually only 2 reasons to let the water run in a kitchen sink-- waiting for hot water, and filling the sink... In both cases, all slowing the flow does is waste time, because (a) the same amount of cold water has to exit the pipes before the hot shows up, and (b) the sink takes X amount of water to fill-- What genius calculated that slowing down the flow rate of the same amount of water, will save water?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Watch out I bought a name brand faucet with a pull out spout that swiveled for some reason. It looked cool and could be angled without having to pull it out and hold it. The little swivel had a hole less the 1/4" diameter so there was very little flow. took several minutes to fill a pan. I returned it the same week I installed it.
    I think California is home of low flow water saving faucets. I like my my low flow toilet by Amercian Standard. It flushes better then any older style since it has a 4" flush valve with cast in ports to fit.
    Bill D
    Maybe you ought to mount your toilet on the kitchen sink......