Thread: Laguna Lt24 vibration

Laguna Lt24 vibration

Hello all, we just wired our Laguna lt24 and we are getting vibrations while the blade is on but not with the blade off. I have tried sanding down the rubber on the top wheel as well as 3 different blades to no avail. Does anyone have experience with this particular saw ? I am talking to support via email but also wanted to check here .

Sounds like the top wheel is out of balance. With the blade off, spin the top wheel and mark the bottom when it stops. Spin it several more times and see if that mark always ends up on the bottom. That will then mark the heavy spot and you can prove it's out of balance. I had that problem with a Grizzly bandsaw, but both wheels were out of balance. No experience with the Laguna.

Motorcycle wheel weights can be used to balance the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Sounds like the top wheel is out of balance. With the blade off, spin the top wheel and mark the bottom when it stops. Spin it several more times and see if that mark always ends up on the bottom. That will then mark the heavy spot and you can prove it's out of balance. I had that problem with a Grizzly bandsaw, but both wheels were out of balance. No experience with the Laguna.
    Thanks, I’ll give that a try tomorrow.

I tried testing for an out of balance wheel and it landed in a different place every time. Not sure where to do from here. I can see that the rubber wheel on top has a few small 1/32 gaps in which the rubber isn’t glued all the way, this is only near the edge of the wheel but I’m not sure if that’s an issue or not.

Hello again Jason
    I'm really interested in this, as I have an old secondhand (1997) Griggio SNA600 and have some similar issues.
    It sounds like a new machine, can you clarify?
    I believe the old LT24's to be an ACM star machine, which is the same as my Griggio, but unsure if its still the same nowadays.

Have you looked at the belt condition, or tension... I need to buy a new belt for mine, so this could possibly be a factor.
    I must get one in the local lawnmower place one of these days.

Other possible factors might include a machine that isn't standing plum...a longshot on that one which probably makes no difference.

What size blades have you tried...
    Did this machine have a stout blade on and tensioned fairly well at any stage, possibly before you received it?

Have you tried a narrow blade to see if this vibration is occuring?

Do you hear any creaking noise when hand turning a tensioned blade?

Whats the cutting like...do you find you have to push the stock excessively?...
    and are you really babying the saw, as to not make contact with the thrust guides?

With the blade untensioned, whats the adjustment on the top wheel tracking screw like?...on my old saw which was probably never right in the first place, it seems like
    the inner casing has been deformed somewhat, causing the knob to turn very stiffly, which ended up stripping the bolt recently...
    The underside of this bolt was rubbing against the outer cabinet damaging the threads, I ended up having to cut some of the damaged threads off the tracking screw,
    and file the outer cabinet hole at the bottom to make some clearance...I should have filed it some more as I only gave it a few rubs, which is probably not enough.

If its a new saw, with new blades from different suppliers, Can you get written clarification from Laguna to try adjusting the Jacking screws for the lower wheel adjustment
    without voiding your warranty?

A recent thread from the other day has a similar ring to it, it might shed some insight
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....uild-questions

Good luck Jason
    Hope you keep us posted on this
    Thanks
    Tomás

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Hello again Jason
    I'm really interested in this, as I have an old secondhand (1997) Griggio SNA600 and have some similar issues.
    It sounds like a new machine, can you clarify?
    I believe the old LT24's to be an ACM star machine, which is the same as my Griggio, but unsure if its still the same nowadays.

Have you looked at the belt condition, or tension... I need to buy a new belt for mine, so this could possibly be a factor.
    I must get one in the local lawnmower place one of these days.

Other possible factors might include a machine that isn't standing plum...a longshot on that one which probably makes no difference.

What size blades have you tried...
    Did this machine have a stout blade on and tensioned fairly well at any stage, possibly before you received it?

Have you tried a narrow blade to see if this vibration is occuring?

Do you hear any creaking noise when hand turning a tensioned blade?

Whats the cutting like...do you find you have to push the stock excessively?...
    and are you really babying the saw, as to not make contact with the thrust guides?

With the blade untensioned, whats the adjustment on the top wheel tracking screw like?...on my old saw which was probably never right in the first place, it seems like
    the inner casing has been deformed somewhat, causing the knob to turn very stiffly, which ended up stripping the bolt recently...
    The underside of this bolt was rubbing against the outer cabinet damaging the threads, I ended up having to cut some of the damaged threads off the tracking screw,
    and file the outer cabinet hole at the bottom to make some clearance...I should have filed it some more as I only gave it a few rubs, which is probably not enough.

If its a new saw, with new blades from different suppliers, Can you get written clarification from Laguna to try adjusting the Jacking screws for the lower wheel adjustment
    without voiding your warranty?

A recent thread from the other day has a similar ring to it, it might shed some insight
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....uild-questions

Good luck Jason
    Hope you keep us posted on this
    Thanks
    Tomás
    Hi Tom,
    It’s a brand new saw. I have only tried a 1 inch resaw king and 1/2 inch Laguna blade that I fit new with the saw. It runs on two belts on a double wheel. One thing I noticed is that the two belts are not the same tension but they should be as they are the same size... I am having them send new belts to rule that out. It cuts beautifully with each blade on and could easily be used like this, I just think it’s a little too much vibration. Runs super smooth with no blade. There were a few times that the it smoothed out after about 4 minutes of running. Not sure what would cause that. I can also smell rubber from the belts but I’m thinking that’s because they’re new ?..

Hi Jason. I am the guy who posted the other thread that Tom mentioned. I am busy working on a job for a client so have not worked on my saw since I posted. What I have determined since I posted is it is my motor bearings that need attention. I will also replace my top wheel bearings and the belts. After that a paint job and possibly new guides. Your problem sounds like it should be upper wheel related, probably tire related if your spin tests show the wheel stopping at various places. The tires on my saw are still in decent shape (bottom) ,the top one has a couple chips out of the edge so I will probably replace it as well. Is there a rythmic thump when you run the saw ? or just general vibration ?

If your drive belts are different lengths that could be the problem, one slipping and maybe some harmonics there. Belts can be purchased in matched sets and should be in this case.

Do the pulleys warm up?

Take off one belt and see how it runs. You'll only need two for a maximum cut.