Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Item stuck in tailstock, can't seem to remove

Pull the quill out. Drill a hole sideways through the stuck piece. Put a rod through the stuck piece. Drive a wedge between the rod and the face of the quill. It should come out. I would soak it thoroughly with PB blaster and tap on it with a mallet to create vibrations so the penetrant will get in better. I do this for several days, several times a day. Then use the wedge.

well with all these different methods for the removal did you get it out and when you do check the quill insides for galling it might need to be dressed up some.

Would be nice if the OP let us know what he did to get the stuck piece out, acknowledge at least peoples effort to help him out.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Would be nice if the OP let us know what he did to get the stuck piece out, acknowledge at least peoples effort to help him out.
    In message #7 he thanked people and said that it would be this coming weekend before he would be able to do much with the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    In message #7 he thanked people and said that it would be this coming weekend before he would be able to do much with the advice.
    Yes, and I'm just noticing that Glen joined SMC only last month.

BTW, welcome to the Forum, Glen! (Leo is really a nice guy. As well as an amazing turner who's helped many of us over the years.)

I would tap the hole of the adapter with whatever thread I could make work. Then put a piece of pipe or stack of washers against the quill. Put a bolt or ready rod in and tighten it against the washers/pipe and the adaptor should pull right out.