Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will The Dream Come True?

I'd just sail it around the outside. Sounds like it might even be quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'd just sail it around the outside. Sounds like it might even be quicker.
    We've been looking at that. Problem is the Gulf Stream. It gets really close to shore around Ft. Lauderdale. Get caught in that and you're going backward.

And then there's crew. The times I've done overnight sails, we've always had 4 or more crew aboard. My rule was always 2 in the cockpit for overnight sails - one at the helm while the other is close when needed. Even a sleeping crew member in the cockpit is better than trying to rouse sleeping crew below. I know that from experience.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Oh, and I forgot to mention... If we ever went down into the Keys and around Key West, it would take us months to get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to mention... If we ever went down into the Keys and around Key West, it would take us months to get home.
    Time shouldn't matter

Ed. I mean, you have the boat, take your time and enjoy it while you can.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 04-12-2019 at 7:45 PM.

5. The inland route? Take several good books! And don't stray from the channel!

Key West would be more fun.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

No thanks on 10 days in a ditch, with mosquitoes.

We did Beaufort to Annapolis once with 3 of us. Four hour watches, with one sleeping. It really wasn't that bad, but I'm usually good for 2 watches through the night. I love sailing at night. On that trip, there was a half moon, and just kept the North star right off the forestay all night going up the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.

edited to add: Just stay offshore a little farther North to stay in the Northward flow of the stream, and then go towards shore to get home with the flow. (I'm assuming you're talking about the current coming back at you as you get closer to home.) We use that to our advantage when racing in some places, by getting as close as possible to the seawall when going into current-like in San Francisco Bay.

On that trip that I mentioned when we motored the IOR 50 footer down the East River. The boat owner was not able to leave as early as we wanted that morning, so we were off timing for the current direction. I kept the boat a couple of feet off the bulkhead all the way through. There was a lady pushing a baby stroller, along the railing, that was exactly the same speed we were for about 15 minutes, that was only a few feet away. If I hadn't kept it in the reverse flow, it would have been impossible until the tide changed. On the old maps, that part of the river is named Hell, and we saw why.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-13-2019 at 8:34 AM.

Back in the day when I was a bow man, I did a few Key West races. There is a bit of counter-current. In most weather, with a really good Naviguesser (up-to-date chart plotter) to keep you off the reef and out of the Stream, it can be a pretty decent sail. 36 - 48 hours on the fifty/sixty footers I sailed aboard, 48 - 72 hours on your shorter wl length. No mosquitoes. One day (?) of "rest" and then a leisurely cruise North. Just don't go down the Keys in a SE breeze; short tacking can be grueling. Wait in Miami or Lauderdale to party until the weather changes.
    Last edited by James Waldron; 04-15-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    Jim Waldron

There should be plenty of good anchorages, and even docks along the way, so as not to have to push through every night, or ill wind.

That's why they call it Cruising, and not Racing.

There should be plenty of good anchorages, and even docks along the way, so as not to have to push through every night, or ill wind.

Geez, I've never cruised in the keys. You may be right! That way, Ms Julie can party every night!!!
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries

Years ago we cruised from Marco Island to Key West and back. We anchored in the Florida bay near the Everglades twice. Tied up at Cow Key and Key West. We just called the Harbor and asked. The Gulf side of Key West has lots of shoals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    My rule was always 2 in the cockpit for overnight sails - one at the helm while the other is close when needed. Even a sleeping crew member in the cockpit is better than trying to rouse sleeping crew below. I know that from experience.
    At night anyone on deck should be harnessed and tied off for safety if you are not anchored.

Drove to Titusville yesterday. Came back with a few less bucks in the bank and a title to an Aloha 32 in our pocket. Yesterday I was believing it. Today it still seems a dream.

We're going back this weekend hoping to get it ready for splash and dash.

Congrats! Take pictures on your maiden voyage so we can live vicariously through you.
    Have you read the Josh Slocum book? Highly recommended if not.

One of the happiest monemts in a boat owners life is when you first buy it. I owned a Philip Rodes Bounty II 41' sailboat for about 10 years in the past. It was a lot of fun. There seems to be nothing square when building on the boat. Everthing has to be custom fitted. Good luck.

Wow!
    I’m not a boater at all, but I know a special moment when I see one.
    CONGRATULATIONS!