Thread: Sharpening drawknives

Sharpening drawknives

Sharpening drawknives has always been a problem. Mostly because they are long, the handles get in the way and it is very easy for body parts to find the sharp edge. Several nights ago, one of the drowning in snot and can't sleep ones, I came across a drawknife sharpening video where the presenter used an elevated stone holder. I can't remember who made the video but I thought that's a good idea, I'll steal it. Of course because I've ridden in the short bus most of my life probably everyone is already using elevated stone holders. Whatever.

While digging around in the "tool room" yesterday I found a couple of old wood stone holders that if glued together would/should make an elevated stone holder for use with drawknives.

drawknifeStoneHolder.jpg

Of course I tell myself that if it works I'll make a prettier one. I can be big on self delusion, if it works I expect I'll still be using it a year from now.

ken

Clever, and it looks safer than the technique I've seen illustrated in which the sharpener holds the drawknife kind of like a violin and rubs a stone over the edge with his/her other hand.

As to prettier: there are times when "got the job done" is sufficient. Unless your shop is on the town's Architectural Wonders tour every year, that rig looks fine.

Ken, it was Curtis Buchanan.

He has two great videos:

I wrote about his method here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...Drawknife.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

While digging around in the "tool room" yesterday I found a couple of old wood stone holders that if glued together would/should make an elevated stone holder for use with drawknives.

drawknifeStoneHolder.jpg

Of course I tell myself that if it works I'll make a prettier one. I can be big on self delusion, if it works I expect I'll still be using it a year from now.

Temporary fixes that work, tend to become permanent.

ken[/QUOTE]
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Clever, and it looks safer than the technique I've seen illustrated in which the sharpener holds the drawknife kind of like a violin and rubs a stone over the edge with his/her other hand.

As to prettier: there are times when "got the job done" is sufficient. Unless your shop is on the town's Architectural Wonders tour every year, that rig looks fine.
    Bill,

That is what I'll be telling myself a year from now

ken

You are not alone. I have built more than one “prototype” project that worked so well I never bothered to build the “real one.” Exhibit A would be the bench my kids sit on at the dinner table. Built from a Home Depot 2 x 10. Plan was to see where the problems were and then make a better one.

“But honestly honey, would you be happier if they were spilling spaghetti sauce and orange juice on black walnut?”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    [/QUOTE]

I like this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVMcFjoOL4
    I kept the '99 issue of FWW that had the plans for Brian Boggs horse and finally built it two years ago. I like the part of the video where he says to make sure you don't cut your finger-tips off.