Thread: What type of grease for electric motors

What type of grease for electric motors

My phase converter motor has an exterior grease zerk and the bearing is sounding "dry''. So the question is what type of grease is recommended for this application ?

Any standard medium bearing grease should do. Not a hard life for a sealed bearing in a temperature controlled shop. Do not use chassis grease.
    Bill D.

Thanks Bill.

Mike, if you can get a synthetic grease, consider it, You will get longer life from it.

Blog Entries
    A few years back my skill saw started making some noise and I opened up the gear box. All the grease was off the gears and up against the side of the housing. The gears were all running dry. I added a zerk fitting and a relief hole and periodically give it a squirt of grease. I also open my electric drill from time to time and regrease the sears.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    A few years back my skill saw started making some noise and I opened up the gear box. All the grease was off the gears and up against the side of the housing. The gears were all running dry. I added a zerk fitting and a relief hole and periodically give it a squirt of grease. I also open my electric drill from time to time and regrease the sears.
    A skil saw does not use grease it uses a heavy gear oil. It will leak out over time. The manual has specific instructions on how to set the saw down to check oil level inside the fill port.
    BILL D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A skil saw does not use grease it uses a heavy gear oil. It will leak out over time. The manual has specific instructions on how to set the saw down to check oil level inside the fill port.
    BILL D
    Mine is a Craftsman and it definitely has a grease gearbox.

That is a good idea Lee. Thanks for sharing. I have a craftsman skilsaw I was just using yesterday. It is 30 years old and probably needs new grease.

Be careful not to over grease. We have had several motor failures at work due to over greasing. Definitely need a drain hole for the old grease to come out of like Lee has on his saw.

Only use a lithium grease on elect motors and use just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Mine is a Craftsman and it definitely has a grease gearbox.
    Video from Skil on oil changes. 25 and 40 seconds in are the main points.
    Bill D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I040fdjp7Y

That was a selling point when Makita came out with their gear drive saws. they do not use oil that can leak out.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-08-2019 at 2:55 PM.

Wow start a thread about grease for an electric motor and now we are changing oil in worm drive skilsaws... Gotta love "the creek". Anyhow I got a tube of Mobile electric motor grease today,so I think I am good now. Stopped at an electric motor rewind place and asked,they just went in back and brought out a tube and handed to me.