Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: workshop in my basement

I work in a basement and also have concerns about wood dust. With that said, i am confident in my 3hp cyclone with merv 15 filters and my JDS air cleaner with merv 15 filters. Doors to the laundry room and living quarters are weather stripped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert wiggins View Post
    My basement is one place I would never have a wood shop. You may not either after seeing what can be seen in the air with a powerful LED headlamp. I've never thought of a respirator being what I want to wear all the while while I was doing wood work.
    Not sure what your reason is to not have a shop in the basement. There's going to be dust no matter where it is.

Just have it well sealed off from the rest of the house. When I had my shop in the basement I put a large box fan with a HEPA filter in a hole in the wall adjoining the rest of the basement. I ran it when working in there & it kept the shop in a negatively pressurized state. No dust in the other part of the basement.

I know the basement is less than ideal. My garage is a tiny single stall the barely fits my Subaru and a snow shovel and is detached and unheated. I sometimes feel envious of the big 2 and 3 car garages I see on here and all the space, but then I realize I'd have to live in the suburbs or out in the country, neither of which would fit my lifestyle.

And I do wear a respirator a good part of the time. Lungs, eyes and ears. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by mat price View Post
    How do you guys get those 300 lb plus saws in to your basements. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get one through the back yard when I build my outdoor shop. Looks great man I wish I had that space
    I didn't document the move down the steps, but here is the thread I started showing my saw in the garage ready to move and finishing in the basement ready to use. I disassembled each machine to the point where the largest sub-assembly could be carried by one or two people, either in one effort down the stairs, or by using a platform and chain hoist to move the pieces.

Mike's Shop is Underway

I made these platforms to give me over one square meter of flat surface to stage each heavy piece as it was moved down the steps, one or two steps at a time. The 19mm plywood shown is much smaller than the sheet I used, but demonstrates how large the platform was. I used a small chain hoist on the upper floor stairs to lift each item while the platforms were moved to the next lower level.

I used this block for the chain hoist on the upper level in order to protect the finish on the stairs. A cargo strap went over the block and I attached the chain hoist to the strap.

Very impressive set of homemade hoisting apparati.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I work in a basement and also have concerns about wood dust. With that said, i am confident in my 3hp cyclone with merv 15 filters and my JDS air cleaner with merv 15 filters. Doors to the laundry room and living quarters are weather stripped.
    Patrick, have you seen my recent thread regarding air cleaner filters?
    I'd like to know which specific filters you are using, but it would be great if you could post there.

Also, see my idea for adding a TRUE hepa filter (even Merv 15 isn't true HEPA) to the back of these air cleaners. For me it might be overkill (I'm undecided) but for a basement shop, with a family, I would definitely give it a try.