Thread: Looking for a good hardwood seller in Chattanooga, TN

Looking for a good hardwood seller in Chattanooga, TN

I am brand new to the Chattanooga area and I am in the hunt for a good hardwood dealer. I don’t really have a preference between air dried or kiln dried. Ideally though I like to look at the lumber I buy not just order from a front office and they bring it to me. I am not talking about hand selecting every piece but just look through briefly. Since woodworking is my hobby and my time is free I don’t mind milking my own so rough sawn is preferred. Thanks for any advice in advance

I looked at Craigslist for Chattanooga and saw some good possibilities. If you are on Facebook, the market place may also find sellers.

I am in Cleveland, Tn. 30 miles from you what kinda hardwood are you looking for?

I am not that particular honestly. American hardwoods more than exotics, I am a hobbyist and just moved to the area so I want to build up some stock. I am definitely still a beginner so I am looking for some cheaper options to practice. I finally have the room for a decent shop my new tools are on the way.

My wife and I were born and raised in Chatta. I usually bought green material from bandsaw mills and air dried. However, after I retired I took a fab job from a local firm that they couldn't handle, I located the material, red oak kiln dried, from company out on east Main Street I think maybe Chattanooga Hardwood. They paid the bill and I never knew the prices. Where are you located? We left in 2003 and moved to Madisonville, Tn about eighty miles north toward Knoxville.

I live in East Ridge. I have some space I could set up for air drying but would also want some ready to go for immediate projects

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Thompson View Post
    I am not that particular honestly. American hardwoods more than exotics, I am a hobbyist and just moved to the area so I want to build up some stock. I am definitely still a beginner so I am looking for some cheaper options to practice. I finally have the room for a decent shop my new tools are on the way.
    You might check Woodfinder.com.

There are sawmills all over the area (I even have one behind my barn) and some sell air-dried wood. There are great hardwood dealers around too, but I'm not familiar with those near Chattanooga. Fortunately, you have moved right smack into the middle of the southern hardwood "belt"!

If you happen to be driving through the Knoxville area I think I have extra 4/4 rough-sawn cherry in the barn loft that will go to waste before I'll use all of it and I could give you some at least for practice. I'm not sure of the condition since I haven't looked at it for a couple of years. I've already used all the 8/4 for woodturning and I've used some of the 4/4 boards for shelves and for farm things. I may still have a walnut slab or two and some 8/4 cedar. I have cherry, maple, oak, and poplar logs and will be sawing again in June, I think. I don't sell wood but I'm willing to share a little if I have extra. We are about 2 hours from Chattanooga.

And if you get up this way and want to spend some money, Jefferies Wood Works is not far and they have almost every type and size of domestic lumber plus some exotics. Not exactly cheap but they have a huge stock to choose from.

And welcome to Sawmill Creek!

JKJ

8. Try Chattanooga Hardwoods. Probably less than 7 miles from East Ridge.

http://chattanoogahardwood.com/home/4669764
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

well I have sugar aka rock maple already cut dry for over 8 years and some 15 inch wide sycamore if you want give me a call at 727 421 7072

John,
    Thank you for the advice and the generous offer. I close on my new house on the 16th of this month and after that would love to make the drive to Knoxville. I am always willing to meet other woodworkers and the enticement of a free board is just gravy. I will also check out jefferies wood as well. Thanks again, I am new to Saw Creek but so far it is everything I love about the woodworking community.

Same as John, thank you for the reply and once I close on my house I will reach out. I have worked with sycamore or rock maple but am interested in both.

forgot got white oak boards too plus logs(white, red oak ,maple) we can cut to whatever you desire.

Ralph, I highly recommend if you make the trip to Knoxville, spare a few hours and visit John. I dropped in 18 months ago, wonderful family, great hospitality and the Alpacas are to die for. He's not a bad wood-turner as well.
    rgds,
    Richard.