Thread: Need help identifying a couple of hand planes

Need help identifying a couple of hand planes

Today I purchased a craftsman's tool chest that has a couple of plane I don't recognize. I believe one of the marks is Barton & Co which would match other tools in the set.

I would greatly appreciate any help identifying these planes. More pictures available on request.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rik Rickerson; 04-05-2019 at 7:42 PM. Reason: Came across as a gloat which was not my intent
    -Rik

Blog Entries
    I don't recognize two of the bench planes and am told that when they listed the chest a number of years ago tool collectors from the east coast expressed significant interest.
    But not enough interest to buy them?

This is the kind of thing where you may want to contact Patrick Leach:

http://www.supertool.com

Everyone is likely wondering… what else was in the chest?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They were very interested but the seller did not want to split up the set. I made it clear to the seller that I would be selling the two planes and keeping the rest of the set intact. I'll post pics of the rest of the tools when I'm able to catalog everything.
    -Rik

I, for one, do not see any photos.

And I don’t see any photos. Glad you mentioned it. I was thinking it was just me.

Odd. I can see them fine.

I'll try reposting them
    -Rik

I saw both sets just find....Might contact Don Wilwol and see what he says?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I saw both sets just find....Might contact Don Wilwol and see what he says?
    Excellent idea!
    -Rik

Rik, I’ve been out of the old plane gig for awhile, but that looks to be a very early plane.

Please don’t take a belt sander to it and spray it with multi-color Krylon!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Rik, I’ve been out of the old plane gig for awhile, but that looks to be a very early plane.

Please don’t take a belt sander to it and spray it with multi-color Krylon!
    No worries. I would never feel comfortable using them which is precisely why I will find a good home for them.
    -Rik

Quote Originally Posted by Rik Rickerson View Post
    Are these visible?
    Yes -- thanks for that -- it turned out to be a browser issue; they were not visible in Firefox, but were visible in Chrome.

Barton is probably D.R. Barton but that would just be the iron, he did not make metal planes as far as I know. The plane is definitely early. It has a resemblance of some early makers but I haven't seen one exactly like it.