Thread: Watts vs. Watts Different Machines

Watts vs. Watts Different Machines

I currently use a Rayjet Laser 50 -50 watt machine daily. An average job to engrave a 12"x 12" plastic sign LaserMax equivalent 100% Power and 100% speed takes about 25 minutes to complete. I was talking to a dealer about a new Epilog Fusion Pro but my budget only allowed for a 60 watt version. I am trying to learn how much faster this new machine will be engraving the same job at 100% power. I assume the new machine would be 10% faster but hope I am wrong! Any feedback would be helpful. It is a two hour drive for a demo once dealer has one to demo.

Since you already work with Trotec machine why not look at Speedy 300 , 360 or 400 machines.
    Speedy series should be much faster than Rayjet is.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

The difference between 50 and 60 watts is negligible, you'll probably not see any increase in speed due to the power. A Speedy 400 / 80 would give you a huge increase however.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Levine View Post
    I currently use a Rayjet Laser 50 -50 watt machine daily. An average job to engrave a 12"x 12" plastic sign LaserMax equivalent 100% Power and 100% speed takes about 25 minutes to complete. I was talking to a dealer about a new Epilog Fusion Pro but my budget only allowed for a 60 watt version. I am trying to learn how much faster this new machine will be engraving the same job at 100% power. I assume the new machine would be 10% faster but hope I am wrong! Any feedback would be helpful. It is a two hour drive for a demo once dealer has one to demo.

Oh, I'll have to differ on the negligible; I have your old 30w GCC, my 40w LS900 and my 47w as-measured LS100, all 3 of which run virtually the same top speeds, and they're pretty different-

To get the same depth of cut in black Rowark:
    GCC --- 75 speed 100 power
    LS900 - 90 speed 100 power
    LS100 - 100 speed 65 power...

Now, could be the LS100's power curve is a bit flatter, but I seriously can't run black Rowmark at 100/100, very deep and too much warping.

That said-- how fast is a Rayjet? My above machines all run ~80 ips. My LS100 will calculate engrave time, I entered 10 lines of 3/4" high random text to within 1/4" of all edges of a 12x12 plate, and the machine came up an engrave time of 16:24, and it's usually accurate to within 10 seconds. A full sweep would take longer of course...

A Speedy 400 would cut my 16-1/2 minute estimate down roughly 30% or 5 minutes worth.
    --If you ran three 12" signs across, more time would get knocked off since the 400 could make better use of its speed..

As for a new Epilog, specs say it runs 165 ips, double my machine's, and essentially the same as a Speedy 400. So you WILL knock off some engraving time with a 60w tube over your Rayjet based on time you listed, but how much depends on what a 60w tube will actually accomplish running at top speed- Test drive is in order...

Are you planning on ADDING a machine or REPLACING the Rayjet? More machines are more versatile than less, no matter how fast

Note: if you buy, and you have a choice of Synrad or Coherent laser, go with Coherent, they typically put out much more than advertised power (My LS100 runs Coherent, 47 actual v 35 advertised watts)

Last edited by Kev Williams; 04-06-2019 at 1:15 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

If it helps, our 60W Epilog engraves black LaserMax at 100% spd, 60% power. The 50W Epilog is similar, 100% spd, 80% power. Both do the job easily with 1 pass.
    Epilog Lasers

I have to disagree with this i wave a 40 and 60 watt mini helix the 40 100% power 17% speed tge 60 is 85% power 23% speed. This is cutting 3mm baltic birch 6 days a week 9 hours per day. That is a over 20% faster and could be faster if we speed it up more.