Thread: sketchup 3d warehouse search tips or alternatives?

sketchup 3d warehouse search tips or alternatives?

Does anyone know of a good source of sketchup models other than the 3D warehouse, or have suggestions for improving my search results within the 3D warehouse? I hate to recreate the wheel when modeling, but I rarely find good models of things I want to use. They might not exist, but it sometimes seems like I am not finding everything that is probably out there. My sketchup skills are such that I can model simple architecture and cabinets, but when things get round and complex it takes me far too long to make a good model.

Right now, I am trying to figure out the minimum size needed for a workshop to house my existing tools (I currently rent my shop space). I found models for my Sawstop PCS (with the correct fence rail size) and for my DeWalt 735 planer (though without the extension tables). I found a Grizzly 8" jointer that is close enough to my G0490X to stand in for it, and a generic floor model drill press that can stand in for my Clausing. Most of my other tools are either modified or uncommon, so I am not expecting to find everything. The one thing I expected to find and cannot is a model of a Powermatic 3520B lathe (or a 3520A, which would be close enough). I have searched separately for Powermatic, lathe, PM3520 (with and without the B) and 3520. None had any relevant results. Any suggestions for finding more models in the 3D warehouse or for other places to look (I checked Powermatic's website without success)?

Here are 2 ideas that make perfect sense, but I DON'T want to do:
    1. Use Grizzly's workshop planner to lay out my space; and
    2. Just make boxes of the appropriate size to represent my tools.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I don't know of any other sources for SketchUp components of specific tools like you are wanting to find. I think if I were you, I would learn what you need to know to make suitable components for your tools. Keep in mind they don't have to be heavily detailed for doing shop layout. Since you have the tools to take measurements from, it shouldn't be too difficult. I would be happy to help you learn how to do what you need to do. You can contact me through the blog I contribute to on the website for one of the woodworking magazines. I'm not allowed to get or send PMs and from previous experience, if I share a link to how you can contact me directly, the moderators will remove this post because they'll determine it to be self promotion even though I wouldn't be charging you any money.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 04-05-2019 at 6:38 PM.

As good a resource as 3D Warehouse is, it can take longer to find something than it would to model it. When I search I try terms that are either more general or more specific, often both if what I want doesn't appear. I also stash things in a collection so I can find them later on. One of the issues is the search engine is looking at the title of the model and different folks will use different terms than I would think of.
    For your purposes you don't need to show crazy levels of detail. Working with curves isn't that big a stretch if you practice. It's still only faces and edges. I think there is a Jet lathe in the warehouse with similar legs. You might try starting with that instead of working from scratch.

Bob Lang

Thanks to you both for the suggestions, and thank you Dave for the generous offer. I am proficient enough to make something of the right size and recognizably "lathish." After downloading the very good models of the other tools, I was hoping to have something of equal quality for the lathe and thought the PM3520 was popular enough that someone would have modeled one and put it online somewhere. I will fight off my perfectionist impulses and just make something sufficient for the purpose. If I push my Sketchup abilities, I may even learn something useful for future projects!

I will admit to suffering from the perfectionist syndrome and as a consequence have spent many hours drawing the machines I own or modifying models that are similar. It has actually taught me a lot about using Sketchup so in the end the investment in time has been worth it. I have close to 40 hours in this Grizzly G0840 Mortising Machine but it was so satisfying to have it accurately represented. I now draw everything I build first regardless of how simple. It makes focusing on the craftsmanship when I'm in the shop way easier because through drawing I can visualize and work out all the design issues.

Ok, I drew my lathe in Sketchup. Having seen the work of the three who have responded here, I hesitate to do this, but here is a picture exported from my shop layout:
    PM3520B in Sketchup.jpg

As I predicted, recognizably lathish, but far from accurate. I only took a few basic measurements the last time I went to my shop, which is about 45 minutes from my house, depending on Chicago traffic, so I had to look at some pictures and guess at the details. I have the 18" bed extension and included that in my drawing, to be sure I leave enough room for the extended size in the future home shop. I didn't draw the tailstock or banjo because I'd already devoted far too much time to this, and they aren't necessary for shop planning. The cyma-like curves of the legs gave me the most trouble. It looks like there is a plug-in to do cyma curves, but I didn't download it.

Anyway, just wanted to follow up and close the loop on this thread. Thanks for the replies you all gave!

Looks good to me. More than adequate to figure shop space usage and anyone should be able to identify it.

What Dave said, looks good to me.

Bob Lang

9. Jon,

Would you be willing to share the .skp file you made?

Cheers,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thornton View Post
    Jon,

Would you be willing to share the .skp file you made?

Cheers,

Brian

Welcome to the Creek Brian! If Jon doesn't answer your question shortly, try sending him a PM (private message). Sometimes it's easy to overlook an old thread here.

Again, welcome to the Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Good suggestion, Ken. Brian PM'd me and he now has my .skp file. No telling how long it might have been before I saw this thread otherwise.