Thread: Does anyone sell Exacto knife handle turning kits?

Does anyone sell Exacto knife handle turning kits?

See title. I'd like to turn my own handle for some Exacto knives, but I don't see any kits online. I could try to make up my own or just glue a standard one into a handle, but I thought I'd check to see if someone already makes such a thing.

The fat handle, you cold try chucking the handle and turn off the blade holder part. Most times those plastic handles are just glued in. Measure the leftover aluminum blade holder part and drill a hole the appropriate size and turn the fat handle. Glue that blade holder in. I've done this with the cheap ($2 on sale) multi screwdriver bit tools from orange/blue store.

Check out the library over at the pen turner's forum. There are at least two tutorials on making handles for the Xacto type knives. I don't know of any kits for making these.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Buy the X-Acto or knockoff with a top twist knob, and then just epoxy the stock tube in. https://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-ELMERS.../dp/B002KE66PW

I have an X-acto that has a plastic body (which promptly split). Replacing the plastic tube with a copper tube looksd to be very easy. Its called the X-acto Gripster.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I just buy the aluminum versions, turn down a section just behind the collet that will act as a tenon, then cut it off. Turn the handle with the appropriate hole diameter for the tenon, then epoxy it in. I've made several that way. I buy the knives at Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupons (Michael's has them too I think - and coupons).

Tony

I bought the other brand in bulk from widget supply to make wire inlay knives. I then cut off all about 1/2 of the knife handle, and used the discarded part as a mandrel in my collet chuck. Drill a hole in the blank, and turn to shape. These are pushed straight down, that is the reason for the shape. I made a few hundred of these for some people that use them for adding silver wire inlay in knife handles. I started just using the cut off piece of the handle as a mandrel, but finally cut a longer piece, and then filed the end so that it looked like a spur drive to drive into the wood.

These are thick and heavy so that they can be hammered with a mallet or just pushed in with the palm of the hand. For a knife, I would have turned the wood to about 3/4" diameter like the XActo heavy duty handles are. Epoxy holds the 2 pieces together. Leave enough of the end with the collet so that the safety cover can be used with the handle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

check out warrencutlery.com Not exacto but the set has some sharp blades and the handle is of good size . can order a variety of blades

A member of my local woodworkers guild makes parts that fit exacto knives. You then make your own handles. His Etsy site is PersonMakeObject and here is a link to it. https://www.etsy.com/shop/PersonMake...g_id=910756618

Beyond the Xacto blade

Another idea: I've quit using xacto knives completely after I started using scalpels instead. There are a variety of blades available. They are very sharp and quite cheap in quantity. Sterile if you need to do some surgery on yourself! (cutting out deep splinters, etc.) It's cheaper in the long run to get metal handles and buy blades in bulk. These are 14 cents each: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QDJZHVS
    I used to sharpen xacto blades but I just throw away the scalpel blades when they get dull.
    I keep scalpels with #11 and #10 blades hanging above the lathe, in the tack room for leather work, at the 3D printer for cleanup, and elsewhere.
    However, most metal handles are flat and not easily adapted to adding a wooden handle.

This round handle is my new favorite: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6X7N3V
    I like the way it feels. It could easily be adapted to a wooden handle, even cutting off some of the length. But I really like it the way it is.

BTW, if not used to scalpels, the blades do not fasten to the handles the way xacto does it. Also, they can't possibly loosen in use, the way xacto blades can. It's possible to get injured just putting the blade on the handle if you use your fingers - simply use small pliers.

JKJ