Thread: Custom Made Outdoor Furniture

Custom Made Outdoor Furniture

Our client had expensive cushions custom made for the two love seats they had on their patio. The seats were made inexpensively in Central America and after some time, they began to fall apart. She asked me if we could make two of similar style and size (so the cushions would fit). Here’s a pic of one of her old ones with the cushions.

After doing some research, I decided to make them from a African mahogany (Sepele) and I machined the size of all the components a bit heavier (thicker) than the existing ones. The Festool domino joiner and Titebond III exterior wood glue would create a joint that would hold up well.

We had to do our glue-up in sections as there were too many joints to make before the glue’s set up time (15mins) so we first glued both of the sides (front leg, back leg, skirt and arm) …and did the same with the seats back …and clamped overnight.

Next we brought the ends together with the back rest and two long skirt sections (front & back) and clamped again.

we attached ribs between the front to back skirts and screwed the seating slats to the ribs (from below) using deck screws (so they could be replaced if need be). Then we sanded a final time and soaked both seats in Watco Teak oil and applied a second coat the next day.

A yearly re-application of the teak oil will keep them as protected as is possible without having to sand off the entire old finish before refinishing (as would be the case with a marine varnish or other ‘surface coat’ finish). Now they can do their own maintenance (at each season’s end) before covering them for the winter.

Russell Hudson

Good looking love seat! Did you use the domino for the seat skirt rail to post joints as well? Did you give any thought to putting vertical slats under the arms to keep the cushion from moving sideways? Thanks for the post and pictures!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Beautiful love seat! The cushions hurt my eyes.

Really nice seat! Love the curved rails and the “simplicity” of construction.

If it’s not out of line to ask, how much would you charge for a project like that?

I always struggle with what it takes in time and material versus what’s reasonable versus what a customer is willing to pay. The domino has certainly helped keep costs (time) down.

Like the overall design except for the turned front legs. They really, IMHO don't go with the style of the overall bench which has a beautiful flow.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    Like the overall design except for the turned front legs. They really, IMHO don't go with the style of the overall bench which has a beautiful flow.
    And yet, true to the original and customer’s wishes.

Yes Tom but sometimes you have to educate your customer, very few have good taste and understand the flow of a piece no matter how much money they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hyde View Post
    And yet, true to the original and customer’s wishes.

I like it ,nice furniture outside it a great luxury. The legs are a little country,but for outdoor use some insist on that.
    Cushion is too thick to be "right" for the style. But perhaps ok for the butt.

Hi Russell,
    Very nice work! What machines did you use to machine the curved arm rests on the top of the ends of the bench? I was wondering if this was done on a cnc router or with some other machines (band saw, router, etc.).
    Thanks for your reply.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I like it ,nice furniture outside it a great luxury. The legs are a little country,but for outdoor use some insist on that.
    Cushion is too thick to be "right" for the style. But perhaps ok for the butt.
    Yes Mel, but you have to remember one thing - "The Customer is Always Right" - or so they say.
    David

Yikes. I like the turned legs.

love seats cushions web logo.jpg I've added this shot as it helps the post come full circle / green cushions looked pretty good, after all / front legs are often treated as more important than the rear legs ...from couches to kitchen chairs. AND.... it was what she wanted (her wallet).

look at the pic I added below, Jon / no need to maintain the side cushions (from slipping off). Every single join was accomplished with the domino joiner (save the slats on top of seat)

Blog Entries
    Great job in meeting the customer's desires. Not all of us want green,blue or pink BUT, all of us want the customer to be HAPPY!

Well Done!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler