Thread: Meber 600 resaw motor replacement

Meber 600 resaw motor replacement

Hello all
    I have a chance to buy a Meber 600 resaw . but the motor is very large (10HP) and I would like to replace it with a smaller
    one(5 or perhaps 7.5HP 3PH) The smaller motor would be fine for my needs
    Anyone have any experience with this? Setup is similar to ACM or Centauro with motor bolted to side of cabinet and pulley
    inside behind lower wheel

Rob

If it's a 3 phase motor and you want to run it from a VFD, buy a 5HP VFD and be done.

10HP is big for a single phase motor, if that's the case go with a 5HP. I presume it's a metric "C" face motor?

Regards, Rod.

You would need to find a new motor with the same frame size so that the bolt pattern and shaft diameter would be the same. I believe Laguna sells some of their Italian bandsaws with Baldor or Leeson motors, so you might be able to buy a motor from them. The starter would need to bet set up for the lower amperage of the new motor, which may require replacing the heaters.

If you don't have three phase power available do what Rob suggests. IT will be faster, easier and cheaper unless you find a usable motor somewhere very cheap.

If you do have three phase, why do you want to go down in HP size? Power factor issues or perhaps high starting current? Tell us more...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have a 10HP converter and do not have the power available to up to a 20HP which is the suggested size for a 10HP resaw. Figure a 4 or 5kw(5.3 to 6.7HP)
    will do the job. Now running a MM16 with a 1" carbide woodmaster. I am pushing it with
    the slow blade speed and light frame so I would like the weight and blade speed of this Meber 24" x 2 1/2" wheels and 1500lbs

If the OP was curious to see if there is a "C Frame motor) in a smaller HP I would think the answer is yes but you need to to contact a motor shop that deals in IEC European motors.
    Converting the saw from 3 phase to single phase would be very involved since there is a feeder on the saw.
    Nice saw if you can pick i up on the cheap.
    BTW he AMP difference between 7.5 and 10 HP is nominal.

Are you limited on input amperage to the shop or converter? Dave

power in the shop is limited

Just a follow up. Found a simple solution. Smith Electric autogen CD3 phase converters. These are static converters,
    but much better than most. Will produce 90% for first 15 min then 70 when the motor warms up. In any case 70% of a 10HP motor is plenty for me and much easier than a motor swap. Spoke to an engineer there and I am satisfied that the motor will run fine. Cost is under $400 /more at
    https://gwm4-3phase.com/products/static-converters/