Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: French cleats on cement wall...

Blog Entries
    When my house was built, they wrapped the basement interior in these giant insulation blankets. The contractor told me that most people throw it away right after inspection. I took another route. I took the blankets down, cut them into batts and put them between studs I attached to the walls with L-brackets and concrete nails. then I put up OSB...a LOT of OSB. In the end, it was well worth it. The shop is very comfortable and I can attach whatever I want anywhere I want.

I made a point of not running any wire behind the OSB. I wanted everything surface mounted and visible. That way, I can drive screws without worrying about wires behind. The only exception are the light switches at the entry. I have little doubt that my electrical work is not up to code. I surface mount the romex using cleats every 6". No conduit. But it has the virtue of being very removable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I got the cleats up over the weekend (in multiple shop sessions due to other responsibilities). They went up pretty easily, thankfully. There's a few irregularities in the wall that will prevent me from being able to put a cleat in every single location, but all in all it should be fine. Next will be making various holders.

Attachment 407452
    Did you use Tapcons or one of the ram jet type fasteners, or something else? My usual technique for concrete is a 16d galvanized nail and two pieces of tie wire in a 5/16” drilled hole. Mainly bc Tapcons seem to break a lot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Did you use Tapcons or one of the ram jet type fasteners, or something else? My usual technique for concrete is a 16d galvanized nail and two pieces of tie wire in a 5/16” drilled hole. Mainly bc Tapcons seem to break a lot for me.
    I used Tapcons. I've got a Bosch SDS+ hammer drill that just cuts into this stuff like butter.

The crappy cabinets that were in this space previously were hung on individual french cleats that were also attached with Tapcons. My dust collector hangs on the wall to the right and its brackets (one is barely visible in picture) are attached with Tapcons. I've also got Tapcons holding up 2 old kitchen cabinets and my clamp storage brackets. I've never had a problem with them.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    When my house was built, they wrapped the basement interior in these giant insulation blankets. The contractor told me that most people throw it away right after inspection. I took another route. I took the blankets down, cut them into batts and put them between studs I attached to the walls with L-brackets and concrete nails. then I put up OSB...a LOT of OSB. In the end, it was well worth it. The shop is very comfortable and I can attach whatever I want anywhere I want..
    The alternative way would have been to build the wall just inside the existing insulation to avoid breaking the massive vapor barrier, fastening to the floor and the joists above.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Nice, clean installation, Steve!
    Thanks. And here's the first holder that I made.

screwdrivers.jpg

Very nice. I'll have to stop over sometime once you get more things setup. I still need to fondle your new slider anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice. I'll have to stop over sometime once you get more things setup. I still need to fondle your new slider anyway.
    That's right! I'll let you know when I'm further along and ready for a visitor.

That's a really great idea, Rod, especially when the surface of the wall might be wonky.
    Thanks Jim, and my poured concrete basement wall certainly qualifies as "wonky"...................Regards, Rod.