Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Floor electrical outlets

Check the local code as far as the floor outlets.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Since there is access underneath, I'd put the receptacle box below the floor, and drill a hole in the floor only large enough for the SOOW wire. Plug can be put on the end of the cord after it's passed through the floor. If things get moved later, just plug the hole with a wooden plug. I would want neither a floor box, or a pylon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Since there is access underneath, I'd put the receptacle box below the floor, and drill a hole in the floor only large enough for the SOOW wire. Plug can be put on the end of the cord after it's passed through the floor. If things get moved later, just plug the hole with a wooden plug. I would want neither a floor box, or a pylon.
    You just suggested what is a violation of the National Electric Code.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bridge View Post
    You just suggested what is a violation of the National Electric Code.
    Same with the CEC. It's not permitted to run portable cord through a wall or floor.

Yeah, I know, but I still did it that way on my first shop, and it's still that way 38 years later-tools are in same place. I don't worry about it with SO wire. I wouldn't do it with NM, or even SJ. I don't feel scared that it's more dangerous than a floor box, and didn't want posts sticking up, or even conduit.

Since the Inspector has final call on "interpretations", mine didn't flag them, and I had it all hooked up, and was using it, since it has a subpanel from the main panel in the house, when he came. If I'm remembering right, that was 38 years ago.

edited to add: My reason for doing it like this was because the wire can be tucked in somewhere that it's no trip, or stumbling hazard. Also, I remembered that the SO goes into junction boxes under the floor, that are fed with NM from the panel, rather than having the extra cost of receptacles, and plugs. I don't know that it would have mattered in my case though-the Inspector didn't crawl under the floor to look. It's over a crawlspace, rather than another room. The wire to the Jointer is just NM, and comes up under the machine base into the cabinet where the motor is, so there is no external wire visible anywhere, on that one.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-06-2019 at 6:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yeah, I know, but I still did it that way on my first shop, and it's still that way 38 years later-tools are in same place. I don't worry about it with SO wire. I wouldn't do it with NM, or even SJ. I don't feel scared that it's more dangerous than a floor box, and didn't want posts sticking up, or even conduit.

Since the Inspector has final call on "interpretations", mine didn't flag them, and I had it all hooked up, and was using it, since it has a subpanel from the main panel in the house, when he came. If I'm remembering right, that was 38 years ago.

edited to add: My reason for doing it like this was because the wire can be tucked in somewhere that it's no trip, or stumbling hazard. Also, I remembered that the SO goes into junction boxes under the floor, that are fed with NM from the panel, rather than having the extra cost of receptacles, and plugs. I don't know that it would have mattered in my case though-the Inspector didn't crawl under the floor to look. It's over a crawlspace, rather than another room. The wire to the Jointer is just NM, and comes up under the machine base into the cabinet where the motor is, so there is no external wire visible anywhere, on that one.

Just because a inspector passes something does not make it right.

I used floorboxes in the shop.

And the same in the back room.

Earlier view.

[URL=https://s197.photobucket.com/user/RFM959/media/IMG_0092-1.jpg.html][/URL

I use floor boxes in concrete too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Just because a inspector passes something does not make it right.

I used floorboxes in the shop.

Did you have 240v outlets in the floor?
    TW

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Did you have 240v outlets in the floor?
    TW
    In the shop, and back room, both have one 20A, 240V Twistlock® in the floor boxes.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Blog Entries
    Floor outlets remind me of my days teaching drafting. I had a room with a bunch of flush floor outlets from when the room was used for something else. No one knew that those outlets were live and we never thought to check. One day, without provocation, a pillar of flame erupted from one of the outlet just inches from a students leg. I made a beeline for the breaker box and killed the outlets. Later, we had an electrician in and make it more permanent. It turned out that the janitors were dutifully wet mopping that floor and regularly waxing. over time, something seeped in and it just chose that moment to short out.

If memory serves, the kid that was sitting there is now senior pastor at the worlds largest Methodist Church.

My point here is that flush mounted outlets in a shop are probably a bad idea. At least put your outlet in some sort of box that allows for liquid spills. For myself, I'm a fan of ceiling mounted outlets. It's less attractive to have a forest of wires but it is easier to re-arrange things. It's also less of a trip hazard. On my table saw, I have an overarm dust collector/guard. I simply run the wire up the side of the guard tube. If I want to cut something wider than 4', I would have to remove the dust collector tube. I can untape the wire as well. But that won't happen.

I have seen a lot of pop-up outlet boxes for conference tables, desks and kitchen counters/cabinets. I don't know if something similar is available for floors. If it is, you could pop it up when you need it, but keep it down and safe from dust and feet when you don't. Just an idea, and I have no idea of the code violations it could cause.

I've had floor outlets in my shop for 20 years or so. Love 'em. Mine were put in when the floor was poured. The covers are brass with doors covering the outlets when not in use. Never had an issue. I hit them with the shop vac once in a while. The covers came out just above floor level. That would allow for thin flooring. Probably helps keep the debris out too.

Tony

I have seen boxes conduit mounted on a floor flange total height about 6-8 inches. I have seen a few flanges tube and outlet boxes all cast as one piece of cast iron. These were in old science labs.
    Bill D

Interesting extrension cord female end here.
    Bill D
    https://www.chairish.com/product/119...extension-cord