Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFD for single to three phase

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Use the existing RPC. No benefit to paying for a vfd in that application. The belt drive head will slow on its own and a vfd needs an additional brake resistor to quickly stop a head. Dave

There are two benefits, even when variable speed & soft-start don't matter:

1: You get dynamic breaking. With cheaper VFD's not as much, though you can always add a bigger resistor, if you know what you're doing.

2: A decent VFD can be used instead of a mag starter: They don't auto-start after a power outage, and they offer overload protection.
    Good mag starters are expensive, so.....
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-22-2019 at 5:35 AM.

All of the General 480s I've seen come with a mag starter. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cardinal View Post
    I'm picking up a 8in General jointer tomorrow that has a 3 phase motor. Any thoughts on VFD inverters? When I lived in Minnesota all my machines where 3 phase and I built a rotary phase converter, It worked well but my electrician friend said the VFD was the way to go.
    Tim
    Is the 8" jointer the only 3 phase equipment that you plan on buying anytime in the near future? Around here 3Phase equipment often goes really cheap at auctions. Buying multiple decent quality VFDs can be costly especially for motors bigger than 3HP(i.e. 5HP dust collector or table saw).

For instance, I purchased at a local government auction a 14" Delta Unisaw for $150 (5HP 3PH), 12 Oliver Jointer (3HP 3PH) for $50, and 20" Oliver Planer (3HP 3PH) for $50. Since then I
    found a used American Rotary 10HP RPC with power panel in Atlanta for $350 from another woodshop hobbyist. This RPC setup should allow me run other 3 phase woodworking equipment for the cost of adding another wire & plug. Nothing about RPC you didn't already know.

I built a rotary phase converter years ago, sold it with all my machinery when we moved. I don't think I will be getting any more 3 ph equipment..

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    Is the 8" jointer the only 3 phase equipment that you plan on buying anytime in the near future? Around here 3Phase equipment often goes really cheap at auctions. Buying multiple decent quality VFDs can be costly especially for motors bigger than 3HP(i.e. 5HP dust collector or table saw).

For instance, I purchased at a local government auction a 14" Delta Unisaw for $150 (5HP 3PH), 12 Oliver Jointer (3HP 3PH) for $50, and 20" Oliver Planer (3HP 3PH) for $50. Since then I
    found a used American Rotary 10HP RPC with power panel in Atlanta for $350 from another woodshop hobbyist. This RPC setup should allow me run other 3 phase woodworking equipment for the cost of adding another wire & plug. Nothing about RPC you didn't already know.

It has a mag switch but its 3 ph...thats way i was looking at a VFD
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    All of the General 480s I've seen come with a mag starter. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cardinal View Post
    It has a mag switch but its 3 ph...thats way i was looking at a VFD
    If the coil is 220-240 V it will still operate on single phase 240 V. The coil inside the contactor/motor starter is only single phase. You will have to show a picture of it to let us see if it is designed big enough for single phase. That is assuming you’re swapping out the motor for a single phase motor.

I misread your post that the rpc was in a previous shop and not available currently. Dave