Thread: how to protect metal accent hinge thingys while applying shellac and poly?

Question how to protect metal accent hinge thingys while applying shellac and poly?

Hey guys, first time poster here and newbie woodworker in general. im refinishing my fiancé's old cedar chest that her great grandmother had. its a caswell Runyan chest so its at least about 70 years old minimum. Ive got it all sanded down and smooth, I know what im finishing with but wondering how do I protect the metal accent pieces on it while applying shellac and poly? just tape over it and take tape off when done kinda like the opposite of whats in the pic? heres a pic of what im working with, its not that great of a pic but if you guys need more let me know and I will provide. thanks!

https://imgur.com/CyeQEDd

……. just tape over it and take tape off when done …..

That's what I do.

John

Ideally, these metal embellishments would be removed before any refinishing work started. If that's still possible, do it before you start applying any finish. If you can't remove, then mask off like John mentioned with tape, and if necessary a liquid mask.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...