Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new bandsaw...help me out...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I think I've narrowed it down to the Laguna 18bx. Everytime I say that though I start to have second thoughts and ponder the Grizzly G0514X2 again. Anyone have any cons for the 18bx?
    Not a one. It will be one heck of a saw. If I ever add a modern saw and it is not Italian, this will be on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel Eastland View Post
    My new Grizzly 513X2BF just arrived 10 minutes ago. Ordered it from Amazon on Thursday afternoon. It arrived before lunch on Tuesday. Fast shipping. And the trucker who brought it helped me take off the crate and delivered it into my shop where it's going to be set-up. I did give him 20 bucks for his extra help and was glad to do so.

Through all the searching for a bandsaw for my needs I did decide that a motor switch and foot brake were neccessities. It was about 200 bucks more, but will save time and is a big safety factor in my perspective.
    Considering how long it can take for these saws to stop spinning, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Maybe, Maybe not. Location, Location, Location. Everybody's used market is not the same. My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years but in excellent condition. It takes time to constantly watch CL. Then there is having to deal with CL folks. The more I buy and sell on CL the more I hate it.
    I pretty much only deal with other wood workers. Craigslist is pretty much a bust. I have bought from cabinet shops closing down and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    ...I just can't be bothered...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    ... My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years...
    Finding bargains on excellent machinery takes effort, unless you are very lucky. Most are too lazy to find the bargains, or just don't have the determination; they look at their local c/l ads once in awhile, don't find just what they want right away, give up and buy cheap new machines. My 2 metal cutting bandsaws were found on eBay and shipped to Los Angeles from Florida.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Where are you finding these? Craigslist?
    That and other wood workers. Word of mouth is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Finding bargains on excellent machinery takes effort, unless you are very lucky. Most are too lazy to find the bargains, or just don't have the determination; they look at their local c/l ads once in awhile, don't find just what they want right away, give up and buy cheap new machines. My 2 metal cutting bandsaws were found on eBay and shipped to Los Angeles from Florida.
    Probably beyond what most people are willing to do....but being able to hook up three phase machines to an RPC or VFD and move heavy items will get you serious tools for cheap.

One of my local woodworking friends got an Oliver 94 5 HP cutoff saw for less than the cost of a plastic sliding compound saw. It took some cleaning and tuning but it will cut anything.

Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I think I've narrowed it down to the Laguna 18bx. Everytime I say that though I start to have second thoughts and ponder the Grizzly G0514X2 again. Anyone have any cons for the 18bx?
    It's a great choice!!!! With the sale going on now, hopefully they stocked up the warehouse in preparation so you get a quick ship. Both of my Laguna tools were shipped fast, day or two after ordering.

Not usually how things go for me, but the dice fell lucky for me on buying a bandsaw. Found a floor model Rikon 10-353 with full warranty for $550. Had a few dings, but otherwise was like new. I had originally wanted an 18" model, but can't say no to the price on that one. Super happy with it's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    It's a great choice!!!! With the sale going on now, hopefully they stocked up the warehouse in preparation so you get a quick ship. Both of my Laguna tools were shipped fast, day or two after ordering.
    I am 99.9% sure I'll be going with the 18bx. I am going to end up spending about $800 more than I had hoped but I am fully embracing the "buy once, cry once" mindset.

I sold a blue almost new 14 inch Rikon and for the same money I bought a used Minimax S45 bandsaw. It was the best deal I ever did. The S45 had a little rust on the table but no pits. It cleaned up well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For resawing, I'd definitely want at least a 17" wheel. That gives you more options re blade width, thickness and stiffness. (As in carbide)

That Laguna does look good, and it has a decent fence, too. - You can even upgrade to the Driftmaster fence without re-drilling the table.

Seems like a great "cry once" purchase.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-27-2019 at 8:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I know of a number of production shops with 14 inch saws where people get along just fine. However...would personally rather have extra capacity.
    It all depends on what you are using the saw for. No need to have an 18 wheel tractor trailer to move what would fit in a 16 foot box truck!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    It all depends on what you are using the saw for. No need to have an 18 wheel tractor trailer to move what would fit in a 16 foot box truck!
    Exactly. Although right at 18 or 20 inches seems to be the sweet spot for a shop tool that will do 98 percent of what people ask of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Exactly. Although right at 18 or 20 inches seems to be the sweet spot for a shop tool that will do 98 percent of what people ask of it.
    I would call it 16-20 so it included the MiniMax 16, which is extraordinarily capable.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have a Laguna 14SUV bandsaw (currently with a 3/4" Resaw King) and their 6" Sheartec II jointer. Absolutely love them both. A little bit bigger for both would have been nice, but not essential for my needs. Space and budget were certainly factors, and I think that I got a lot of quality for my money. BTW, I got the bandsaw on a scratch sale, but there is no visible scratch to be found. Morgan was more than helpful. Next is a Fusion III table saw.