Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new bandsaw...help me out...

Time for a new bandsaw...help me out...

Looking to get a new bandsaw. I resawed a 6 foot long 5" 8/4 piece of walnut last night on my little 10" WEN bandsaw and it about died. Took me a good 20 minutes to make the cut, stalled multiple times, but she did the job. I was pretty proud of her.

Regardless, I've wanted to get a new bandsaw for a while. Laguna is running a special for the month of April. There is the 14/12 and then the 14bx. I don't know much about bandsaws but the biggest difference here looks to be power. Most of what I will be doing is resawing walnut, maple and other hardwoods so the power would most definitely come in handy. I am also making a lot of cabinets so I will be using it to cut out toe kicks, etc.

The 14/12 is a little under $1000 right now and the 14bx is around $1350. The other options I am looking at are the Grizzly G0513X2F and G0513X2BF. They are 17" models. All of my options have 12" of resaw capacity.

Anyone able to point out more differences I am not seeing? Recommendations? Thanks

Tim,

did you have look at Malcolm Schweiser’s review of the Rikon bandsaw he recently acquired? This could possibly be another option to consider.

More power = faster resawing. The ability to adequately tension a 3/4" blade would be an advantage, too, so that normally means looking for a saw rated for blades 1" wide, as few saws can put 25K psi on the largest blade they are rated for. Personally, I would go with a 17" saw because it will allow you to use thicker caliper blades that would not survive long around a 14" diameter wheel. For general use any of the 14" saws you mentioned will be fine, and some of them will work well for resawing, too, but you your choice of blades will be more limited.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    ...Most of what I will be doing is resawing walnut, maple and other hardwoods...
    Don't cheap out this time. You need a real resaw machine. A used MiniMax 16 is in the right price ballpark.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Tim,

I just went through the same exact decision making process you are now starting. I tend to over-research so I went to woodworking shows to see the various common brands in person. At woodshows I saw Powermatic, Jet, Rikon however was unable to see Grizzly or Laguna as they just never had any setup there. I honestly was not happy about the fit and finish of the Rikon models. I know they have a big following but I felt the machine wasn't for me. I also dropped Grizzly. I know they make some fantastic equipment and some not-so good. For some reason, I always have Grizzly in my mix of machines and never pull the trigger on one and go another route.

So - was very close to going for a Jet JWBS-15 but honestly wanted more HP so I could cut logs without a stall or taking a long time for a cut, so the Laguna 14BX 2.5hp was now on my radar. I took the risk a few years ago with Laguna and purchased a 6" jointer from them and it's a fantastic machine. Fit and finish was great, works like a charm, is quite and one of my favorite tools. So I recently pulled the trigger and the Laguna 14BX was delivered to me last week. I spent time this past weekend getting it set-up and of course wiring a 220 circuit. I made a bunch of test cuts including resaw and am very impressed. I also really like the ceramic guides and the setup seems quick and easy compared to roller bearing guides.

From the prices you posted above on the 14BX at $1350, you are looking at the 2.5 HP model. The 1.75hp model running 110v is on sale most places for $1259 right now.

You might also want to contact Morgan at Laguna and see if he has a demo model available. My 14BX was a demo and from what I can tell, never cut a piece of wood. Was on display at a trade show and I save a fair amount of money. http://lagunatoolsoutlet.com/contact/

Good luck with you choice and keep us up to date on your research!

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Don't cheap out this time. You need a real resaw machine. A used MiniMax 16 is in the right price ballpark.
    That is an amazing machine, but I think it comes in at $2K over what Tim is looking at in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    That is an amazing machine, but I think it comes in at $2K over what Tim is looking at in price.
    I bought mine for $1500. Paid close to the same for my 20" Agazzani. OP is considering spending $1350 for a 14".

I bought mine for $1500. Paid close to the same for my 20" Agazzani. OP is considering spending $1350 for a 14".
    Wow $1500? Was it new? I just looked it up to get an idea what it cost and saw 3200 price tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    ... Was it new?...
    I don't tend to just throw my money away. Most of my machines could be resold for what I paid for them.

The first thing I do every day is check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for tools. I've been looking for a bandsaw for a year. The used tool market in my area is terrible. I am afraid of how long it would take to hold out for that bandsaw. Not sure how big it is either but I need something that can be mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    More power = faster resawing. The ability to adequately tension a 3/4" blade would be an advantage, too, so that normally means looking for a saw rated for blades 1" wide, as few saws can put 25K psi on the largest blade they are rated for. Personally, I would go with a 17" saw because it will allow you to use thicker caliper blades that would not survive long around a 14" diameter wheel. For general use any of the 14" saws you mentioned will be fine, and some of them will work well for resawing, too, but you your choice of blades will be more limited.

John
    So you think the 14bx is out? This saw will get fairly infrequent use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Tim,

did you have look at Malcolm Schweiser’s review of the Rikon bandsaw he recently acquired? This could possibly be another option to consider.
    I did not. Can you point me in the direction to where it can be found?

The first thing I do every day is check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for tools. I've been looking for a bandsaw for a year. The used tool market in my area is terrible. I am afraid of how long it would take to hold out for that bandsaw. Not sure how big it is either but I need something that can be mobile.
    I had a similar issue finding a re-sale machine. Most of the stuff on Craigslist and Facebook is either junk, an older machine that needs to be restored (which I have no interest in) or a clean, good machine, but almost the same price as new. Some people get lucky or have a great source.

If you get a Laguna, add the mobile base. It really makes moving the 270 lbs 14BX easy.

So you think the 14bx is out? This saw will get fairly infrequent use.
    No, not at all. That's a very nice machine and I thought of buying one or the 14SUV while I was researching new saws, but finally decided to go big and got the G0636X. But that's in a completely different price (and weight) range. I ultimately decided against the 14" saws because you can't put a 1" blade on any of them and I wanted to slice lots and lots of 10"+ wide veneer. For typical hobby use, however, the 14BX and similar saws would be a great choice.

John

That would be a great idea if used MM16’s start falling out of the sky.