Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximum Bowl Blank Weight for a Laguna REVO 18/36

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    The claim of cheap bearings seems presumptuous, and not supported by facts.
    So you think all bearings are the same quality, do you ??, I do know better and so do others from over a much longer time than half a dozen year running wood lathes, and I’m no chill for any make of lathe.
    Have fun and take care

It comes up fine for me. Perhaps the poster was not logged in. I think that when you aren't logged in, you can't always see images.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Try the link instead...it comes up for me. If it still does not come up, go to the Grizzly Green Monster Group link under the “community” tab at the top of the page, then view all pictures near the top...you’ll see it.

The attachment was done with my ipad, so it may not play as well as a PC on loading, but the link does work. I agree with Richard Coors on the hold...for the burl in my link, I used a 6” faceplate and 8 no.12 machine screws that were 2” long to hold that heavy monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Frank Porter View Post
    Mick, that's a big chunk of wood. With your bed extension, you are able to use the tailstock.
    I will get the extension if i turn many pieces larger than 18".
    oe, I have had two lathes with bed extensions and in both cases once I started using the bed extension, I have left it on as it changes what you can do fairly dramatically.

With the Laguna lathe the bed extension is really a game changer, something I realised reading a PDF on the 18-36 by John Keaton (I think that is how is name is spelt) that was what made me really think the Laguna system would be great for me.

It is possible to do things like extend the bed, extend the bed with greater turning clearance as my picture shows and allows you to turn something front and rear without removing the work from the chuck by placing the bed extension on the front so you can work the rear. This is a feature of the Stubby lathe which I thought was pretty cool, but the Stubby lathe doesn't have many of the other possibilities the Laguna lathes have.

In short, you will probably find that a bed extension extends your posibilities further than you at first think; pun intended.

By the way, that is about as big as it gets on my lathe, the diagonals are close to 900mm (35.5").

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    So you think all bearings are the same quality, do you ??, I do know better and so do others from over a much longer time than half a dozen year running wood lathes, and I’m no chill for any make of lathe.
    I never said that. I don't pretend to know one way or the other the quality difference in any of these bearings... simply do not have the information to make an assessment w.r.t. to the lathes being mentioned. And I certainly acknowledge that there are bearings made to different quality levels/standards/types, etc. But do not have any real facts about the differences being discussed herein. I suspect you don't know either. If so please inform us.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 04-04-2019 at 7:53 PM.

Bearings

With regard to the bearings and their inherent strengths, I posted this almost a year ago after doing some homework with regard to bearings in the Laguna 1836 and 2436 headstocks. My post, which I have partially copied, is post number 34.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t=#post2805121

Quote:

"The output bearing on the spindle of the 18/36 is rated as per the accompanying clip from the technical PDF of the Taiwanese bearing manufacturer whose bearings are, according to Laguna, their bearing supplier. The 6207 bearing, is the output bearing in the 18/36 lathe.

As you can see the load is not onerous, nor is it light, but the speed is most likely lower than a reasonable percentage of turning work; the computed bearing life is 20,000 hours.
    If you load the bearing by approximately 50% more, then the calculations come out to a bearing life of 7,000 hours. Add in some form of average speed increase and you will get a forecast decrease, but……….

With my current usage of approximately 10 hours of actual turning time per week and with no time off for holidays (I’m retired) other interests et cetera, then I have the impression that I wouldn’t be wearing the spindle bearings out on a Laguna 18/36 unit.

The Laguna 24/36 output spindle bearing, which is a 6307 bearing, has this over the 6207 bearing according to their website blurb, “The dynamic load rating is 30% higher than a 6207 ball bearing”. In short, the load rating, and by default the longevity factor if you don’t really change what you are turning, is quite favourable, on paper, over the smaller capacity lathe."

Unquote.

Mick.

Bearing_001.jpg