Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oneida Silencers

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I don't know how much they help. We have a cyclone on our cnc and it has the foam pads inside the filters. I can't imagine they do a huge amount. I'm way too lazy to pull them out test it.

I have wondered if coating the entire system, pipe and everything, in undercoating or bedliner material how much it would quiet things down.
    Wouldn't be cost effective, and the eventual alterations would be a pain in the rear. Just a curiosity.

First, Andrew, that Grizzly is only $50 because I'm assuming it's only 6". The model/manual I opened up was 65, 66, 67, 68, etc. I assume that means six inches long by 5/6/7/8 inches diameter. Think about a sound wave or wave forms, you are going to need internal baffles and redirection to kill them --so length is key. 6" long will be better than nothing, not not nearly a silver bullet.

Martin, do you know what oakum is? (it's like manilla/hemp rope fibers, untwisted) My current home was built in 1954/5. Back then they used cast iron pipes then they packed the joints with oakum and poured hot/liquid lead into it to seal the joints. When I redid our main bath the DWV (drain waste vent (the poop vent)) was cast iron with oakum joints. To be honest replacing that with PVC was probably the easiest and cheapest thing I did in our house.

The only problem was that the PVC was loud and you could hear everything through the new 1/2" crappy drywall/blue board/cement board.

When I was a punk kid I was into boom-boom car stereo systems. We would tear up our carpets and line our floors with dynamat, roofing tar paper, etc. Mass or density kills sound. You could buy a bag of Roxul Safe & sound or equivalent bag of the Pink Panther brand (owens corning) mineral/rock wool insulation. Break it out into strips then use black (tar) flashing tape to wrap your pipes. In our bathroom simply wrapping the 4" PVC DWV with two layers of flashing tape made a HUGE difference. It's about the density to absorb the sound.

If you have drywall you could always look into Green Glue. I did my home garage with Green Glue between two layers of 5/8 on the walls and two layers of 1/2 on the ceiling. It's so quiet now that I worry if I ever got hurt I'd probably yell and no one would hear me...

If you vent outside, a short resonator pre-filter combined with a longer resonator post-filter would make a huge difference.

Lots of race tracks have sound/db maximums. Many tech inspections measure sound. There's lots of info about this topic on car forums all over the place. The Aussies tend to be pretty crafty and come up with a bunch of innovative stuff for their V8's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Singer View Post
    First, Andrew, that Grizzly is only $50 because I'm assuming it's only 6".
    8" I think, with a 6" section of 10" pipe lined with foam. Doesn't seem any different from the $350-400 Oneida baffles listed, well.... other than the price!

Blog Entries
    Well, the ones you mentioned you say they didn't do anything. That's a significant difference.

The difference adding the silencer was 5-6 Db for me. I added filter liner as well.

Really helps to knock it down significantly.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Well, the ones you mentioned you say they didn't do anything. That's a significant difference.
    I said I could not hear or measure one, but the construction appears to be the same, so I'd expect the same results (or lack thereof). Could be I don't have mine installed correctly, or my measurements stink.

Blog Entries
    Wow! What is inside those things to cost that much?!!!
    Are they made in Nigeria?

Jon, isn't the bigger challenge to find a way to mask the smell of that nasty old yellow stuff?

Bill, it's called the price of convenience...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I said I could not hear or measure one, but the construction appears to be the same, so I'd expect the same results (or lack thereof). Could be I don't have mine installed correctly, or my measurements stink.
    There was a patent number on the side of this, so likely it’s not the same thing at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Bill, it's called the price of convenience...
    Exactly . Between machinery mods and actual woodwork I’m working 12hrs a day plus weekends.

There was a patent number on the side of this, so likely it’s not the same thing at all.
    People get patents all the time for things that are common knowledge in a specific niche. If they really had a decent patent, they should be sueing Grizzly (and Bill Pentz) for stealing their idea. Instead it's very likely it's the otherway around, since their diagrams show the same exact construction as the Bill Pentz silencers.

A search of patents assigned to Oneida turns up their patented silencer, but it's still the same basic idea. The US patent office is notorious for bogus patents that don't take into account prior art.

You'll note that the date on the Bill Pentz page pre-dates the Oneida patent filing.

So, that additional $250-400 is for brand and dubious marketing claims from what I can tell.

Blog Entries
    My logic in choosing the Oneida is simple; it's a bolt on solution, doesn't cost that much and people said here and showed in videos that it works.

Your feedback on the alternative was that it did not make a noticeable difference, that was enough for me to exclude it.

I paid $220 for the Oneida, not $350. The Pentz one shows the materials at $95 + 1.5hrs of my time. Given that I could be using that time to be productive that time has value.

I bolted it on, checked before and after with a sound device and that showed 5-6Db reduction in sound.

Well I mean we all should have already known Oneida over charges the heck out of pretty much everything they sell. I've proven that in my dust bin level sensor and filter efficiency threads and those were just two of the items they make/sell. We buy from them what we cant make ourselves for the compatibility and the convenience. Just like we do with pretty much every other company.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

WHy not just build an MDF box to cover the filter & plenum? Leave a little room for the air to escape.

Maybe cover the inside with something more porous, like mineral wool. Dick Wynn recommends using carpet, because it helps kill the air turbulance. I have no idea....

Anyway, simple, cheap, and probably much more effective than the commercially-available options.

I bought the Onieda exhaust muffler for my Clearvue in hopes it would help with some of the noise. I've never liked the way the Clearvue filter stack worked, so I took this opportunity to make an upper and lower clamp plate out of 1" baltic birch. I pocketed in for gaskets in hopes it would seal things up.

The all-thread clamp worked well. The muffler made a -3db difference when measured with an app on my iPhone. Most importantly, there's a very noticeable difference in the noise when the cyclone is running.

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

The difference adding the silencer was 5-6 Db for me. I added filter liner as well.

Really helps to knock it down significantly.
    Brian, can you share what a filter liner is? Does it help with noise suppression?
    Mark McFarlane

I have read use an insulated furnace flex duct two inches larger diameter on the exhaust side. MAybe a pvc pipe and roll rockwool insulation inside leaving a clear center section.
    Bill D