Thread: NG Water Heater... Why VAC rather than off?

NG Water Heater... Why VAC rather than off?

I have natural gas water heater with an electric ignition. Everything says to turn it to VAC rather than to off when away for a while.
    Why?
    I turn the water off; does that affect the answer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I have natural gas water heater with an electric ignition. Everything says to turn it to VAC rather than to off when away for a while.
    Why?
    I turn the water off; does that affect the answer?
    You do not mention if this is tankless or a water heater with a tank.

With a tank, even when the water is turned off the water heater will keep the water hot, using gas.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You do not mention if this is tankless or a water heater with a tank.

With a tank, even when the water is turned off the water heater will keep the water hot, using gas.

jtk
    It has a tank. I mean turning the power switch on the heater to "off" rather than leaving it on and turning the temperature to "VAC".

I am guessing that VAC keeps it on but at a minimal temperature. If you turn it off, it could take a while for the water in the tank to heat back up to what most might call a useable temperature.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The vac setting keeps the pipes just warm enough to prevent freezing, turn it off if you’re not worried about frozen pipes. I would not turn the water off, you will likely stir the sludge up at the tank bottom when you turn it back on. BTDT.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    ... I would not turn the water off, you will likely stir the sludge up at the tank bottom when you turn it back on. BTDT.
    On the other hand, with a HWH (electric) well past its warranty date and having had one leak before, I don't like the thought of the tank leaking unchecked for a week or more.

I'm still using a pilot type WH. When we leave even for the weekend I pull the incoming water valve closed. I don't mess with the temp, I want hot water when I return...

Having been thru a washing machine and a water heater dumping all the water they were holding in the past, THAT'S why I shut the incoming water off. And while gone no hot water is used so nothing in the tank stirs up when the valve is re-opened.

I believe the main reason for the VAC setting is to run a flame just often enough to keep the spiders from building webs in the burners and feed tubes...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    IMO, if one feels there is sludge on the bottom of their water heater tank, it is time to hook a hose up to the outlet valve and drain off some of the sludge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)