Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I fix this?

can I fix this?

Building a dresser out of walnut. One of the cross pieces holding the two sides together shifted during glue up and is short of the front by about a 1/16 or so. I think I can make the drawer work with the adjustable guides and probably best to try and not mess with it, but wanted to ask.

A twofer...

Also, the top row is divided in three sections. Two smaller drawers on either side with one larger in the middle. One of these vertical dividers shifted during glue up. It is flush on the top, but sticks past the cross piece @ 1/8" on the bottom. I think I can come at this with a Japanese saw from the fat protruding end and cut the wedge off and sand it smooth all around so it appears flush.

Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Brian

Pictures would help us understand what’s going on.

I'll post some tonight. thanks. brian

If I'm properly visualizing your problem/questions and salvaging the assembly was my only option, I'd probably use a hand plane to flush and smooth the entire front surface: a 4 or 4-1/2 smoother if there is support; a 7 or 8 jointer if you need to span across the drawer blades and dividers. It won't be fast, but IMHO something like you describe is best solved about 2-3 thousandths at a time.

I would add a veneer piece on top of the shallow part. Or bull nose molding that sticks out past the flush parts.
    Bill D.

If you don't have veneer, just glue a strip over the top of the piece you did not get flush, then take a sharp block plane and plane it even as possible, the piece that sticks out you should be able to plane as well. Probably could finish up with a ROS. You learn to check everything out before calling a glue-up finished. Find a rubber mallet very handy to get everything in alignment.

In the first picture you could try to fill the gap with veneer. I’ve never been happy with sawdust mixed imwith glue, maybe I wasn’t using enough sawdust, but in any case the glue would stick out like a sore thumb.

In the second picture that’s an easy one. Hit it with a hand plane.

The piece that is proud of the member that it joins to is easy. As others have said, you can either plane or sand it down. I would not simply leave it to the adjustments in your drawer hardware to compensate for.

For the other piece, even veneer may be too thick to make up the difference. If so, you will be forced, then, to sand down the veneer. I would bring the vertical piece down to the horizontal by planing or sanding.

As an aside, I assume that you have no joinery between all these pieces, not tenons, dowels or biscuits, yes? You are relying on the end grain to side grain joint to keep everything together??
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I have to agree with Grant, what type of joinery are you using? It would appear to be none. You may need to rethink you construction methods to avoid situations like this in the future. Plenty of advise on how to fix the present situations.
    Richard

There definitely could be dowels or a M&T, or Donino joining the pieces, maybe the holes weren’t placed exactly right. We’ve all been there before.

If you didn't use any metal fasteners, you can also cut it out using a flush cut saw and carefully replace the component, using pocket screws on the back side to help hold it in place while gluing after very carefully clamping it in position.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought about stub tenons, but just used pocket screws instead.

think I could pull the pocket screws and open the join with a Japanese saw and then re-glue?

I don't have a lot of experience with hand planes and I am concerned about damaging the piece that runs 90 degrees to the piece the overhangs it.