Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Octagon Leg Blank Jig

Blog Entries
    We each have our own ways

Also easier to make them taper in length......

I’ve been using this jig this weekend to make chair spindle blanks. What I love is that you can take it to the bench, butt it up against the planing stop, and cradle the blanks while planing them further.

It’s a hybrid solution that really helps for skinny parts. It’s so fast and accurate.

Ken,
    Thank you for posting the jig. I used the same concept today to make a hexagonal post for a project. It worked very well. Thanks to you I didn't have to scratch my butt once.

Count me in the camp that would way prefer to use a bandsaw for an operation like this. Cleanup of the bandsaw marks was a simple proposition with a hand plane (or one could use very light cuts at the jointer or planer, but of course this is the Neanderthal forum so perhaps the hand plane is the method of choice).

Kind regards

Edwin

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Ken,
    Thank you for posting the jig. I used the same concept today to make a hexagonal post for a project. It worked very well. Thanks to you I didn't have to scratch my butt once.

Count me in the camp that would way prefer to use a bandsaw for an operation like this. Cleanup of the bandsaw marks was a simple proposition with a hand plane (or one could use very light cuts at the jointer or planer, but of course this is the Neanderthal forum so perhaps the hand plane is the method of choice).

Kind regards

Edwin
    Edwin,

Glad it helped. BTW. nice work and a good looking bandsaw.

ken

Thanks for the idea Ken. I too prefer the BS for this type stuff. I used a one-sided jig that I struggled with years ago that is miles behind your idea and then haven't gone back to hex/octangular legs since. Thanks for the additional photos of the jig Edwin. I was going to ask Ken for one without the stock in place.
    David