Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Octagon Leg Blank Jig

Thanks, Ken. I'll follow your lead.

That's a nice jig for straight octagonal legs. I did some tapered hexagonal legs a couple months back, and knocked together a sled for the bandsaw that rides in the miter slot. It's just a taper jig like you see for tablesaws basically, can be used for all sorts of things. For tapered octagons you'd set the table at 90 and make a tapered square blank first, then tilt the table to 45 and do the facets. You have to use the cutoffs to shim for some of the cuts. A bit of setup and head scratching, and for a one-off or two-off it would be faster (and more fun) to plane. Much more than that and the jig is nice to use.

Thanks for this, Ken. I am in need of such a jig right now. The notch idea is great; Without it, one would need a different jig for each diameter leg.

Blog Entries
    I would rip a square leg on my contractors saw and the tilt the blade to 45 degrees and rip the corner off of the square piece I just made.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I would rip a square leg on my contractors saw and the tilt the blade to 45 degrees and rip the corner off of the square piece I just made.
    Lowell,

While I have a table saw and even use it some, for most operations I try to find a better way. That way I avoid loss of fingers and being penetrated by wood projectiles. I'm not saying your way is unsafe, just most of the time a bandsaw will do the job safer.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    That's a nice jig for straight octagonal legs. I did some tapered hexagonal legs a couple months back, and knocked together a sled for the bandsaw that rides in the miter slot. It's just a taper jig like you see for tablesaws basically, can be used for all sorts of things. For tapered octagons you'd set the table at 90 and make a tapered square blank first, then tilt the table to 45 and do the facets. You have to use the cutoffs to shim for some of the cuts. A bit of setup and head scratching, and for a one-off or two-off it would be faster (and more fun) to plane. Much more than that and the jig is nice to use.
    Robert,

Depending on the wood and number I agree, most of the time I will just grab a woodie and beaver away. Sometimes a jig is nice to use.

ken

I for one appreciate the bandsaw solution. My ts is a sawstop, and I am making a chair from green wood. While I can bypass the detector, I prefer to cut green wood at the bandsaw.

Why not just tilt the BS table, no jig required?

Blog Entries
    Ken, make one of these. I did and my fingers never get close to the blade.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1443&bih=696

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Ken, make one of these. I did and my fingers never get close to the blade.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1443&bih=696
    Lowell,

My push sticks are bigger and better than most of those. Still doesn't change the fact that a band saw is safer with no kickback. I'm not knocking how you do it, I just think my way is safer.

ken

Blog Entries
    You could do it on a jointer .

Safer on the bandsaw.....tip the table to 45 degrees....run the blank along a fence, make a cut, rotate, and make each cut....maybe a little clean up with a small plane afterwards...

Blog Entries
    I also have band saw but the table saw makes a smooth cut with my carbide tooth blade.

14. Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I also have band saw but the table saw makes a smooth cut with my carbide tooth blade.
    If your band saw cuts aren't pretty smooth, get a better blade and feed more smoothly. I do a lot of resawing, using a 1/2" carbide toothed blade, 3ppi hook, with a full height fence on both sides; result needs a couple of passes with a fine set smoother. Not quite as good as a table saw, but not far behind. And I'd be taking a pass or two with a smoothing plane off the table saw too. The plane leaves a finer surface than either saw.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    If your band saw cuts aren't pretty smooth, get a better blade and feed more smoothly.
    Some blades also come with more set than others. The set can be reduced with a vise and a little work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)