Thread: Anyone have success in making DIY Sawstop Table saw inserts?

Anyone have success in making DIY Sawstop Table saw inserts?

Anyone have success in making DIY Sawstop Table saw inserts? Im interested in making inserts but I have not anything specific to DIY Sawstop inserts. Ideally it would be nice to make something similar to the infinitytools version where the center section is replaceble. I can buy it of course but I figure why not give it a try in making one if possible.

it has been a couple years, but I believe there was an article in FWW which showed the dimensions of the SS with relief cuts and all.

Blog Entries
    I have the infinity tools insert. But years ago, I made my own using a Sawstop insert. I just used a dovetail router bit and routed a recess in the top of the SS plate into which I put tight fitting maple inserts. When my wife bought me the Infinity tools one, I gave the one I made to my doctor.

Blog Entries
    I need to see a picture. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I took the following approach

First I measured the thickness of the original insert with a pair of calipers I then went to a store which sold laminate flooring and using the calipers identified a piece of laminate flooring of the same thickness

To make a copy of the original insert I cut a slightly oversized insert I attached the to the original insert with double sided tape then used a router bit with a guide bearing to copy the profile

I read a post somewhere that claimed they their insert was too chipped up to give clean cuts. They taped over the top of the blades groove in the insert then flipped it over and filled the groove with epoxy. Waited overnight then re-cut the opening like it was a new insert.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I took the following approach

First I measured the thickness of the original insert with a pair of calipers I then went to a store which sold laminate flooring and using the calipers identified a piece of laminate flooring of the same thickness

To make a copy of the original insert I cut a slightly oversized insert I attached the to the original insert with double sided tape then used a router bit with a guide bearing to copy the profile
    The SawStop insert has relief cuts in the under side, without which range of movement of the blade will be restricted. They are complex to reproduce without removing excessive amounts of material.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The SawStop insert has relief cuts in the under side, without which range of movement of the blade will be restricted. They are complex to reproduce without removing excessive amounts of material.

I haven't seen one. Is the relief more complex than a non-through cut with a dado stack? Commercially made inserts (and of course many DIY inserts) for saws like my Unisaw are done that way.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    ss under.JPG

For a long time I would just refresh mine with epoxy.

ZCI repair (1).jpg ZCI repair (4).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Now I know. Thanks!
    Chuck Taylor

I've made a few solid wood inserts to do specific cuts, I just dadoed out some cross grain cuts where needed (you don't have to be precise as long as it creates clearance and still sits solidly in the opening). Now I have the Infinity version and just cut long strips of 1/4" MDF core material to do a batch of new inserts every couple of years.
    JR

A couple days ago, I saw a youtube video about making saw blade inserts. It didn't say what brand saw it was but it was definitely a SS. It had the handle on the original one he copied.

It was fairly straight forward, and looked like it fit well.

You will have to hunt, but it is there.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I looked specificallyn the past for a diy sawstop insert video but did not find any. Let me know if you find the link.