Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do people think of the LN #66 beading tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Here is a review of the LV Cast Scratch Stock: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tchStock2.html

It includes a comparison with the LN #66, along with pics of using the LV cutters, as mentioned above. Plus a mod for the LV scratch stock.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

Thanks for posting this. I'm not much of a metalworker, but I think I'll take a shot at that flat fence.

Best,
    Gary

FWIW I have the LV cast scratch stock (Preston). When I got it I had never in my life touched a beading tool. I had a project that needed a bead so I went and bought it as the price was right. I was concerned about the curved fence, but honestly, the thing is downright idiot proof and I cut a beautiful long straight bead on my first attempt not really knowing what I was doing. In fact, I’ve never ever failed to have it cut dead straight and perfect on a straight board. It works equally well going forwards and backwards. Once I get my line established I can go rapid fire both directions in an absolute blur – probably fast enough to start a fire – then just work the very ends using the body as a depth stop. I gather the LN66 is uni-directionsal??

I will say though – making your own cutters is the least fun I’ve ever had. So last Xmas I asked for the master set so I will only have to make the occasional specialty one in the future.