Hi All,

I picked up two small sections of sunburst locust about two weeks ago, freshly cut down, maybe 10" in diameter and one about 12" long, the other about 18" long.

I sawed and split them using a circular saw and splitting wedges, as that was my only choice. My wife and I were leaving for a long trip the next day, so I had almost no options so did what I could. I doped the end grain with latex decking paint and then spar varnish, as I had no other options. I put them in a shed and left them there kind of ricked up, with plenty of air spaces in the rick. The intentions is to use it for hand screw clamp jaws.

I got back and this was the first chance I had to mess with them. I intend to buy some Anchorseal classic, but don't have any now. I have noticed some minor splits, but pretty minor.

This evening, I cut them up into sections with cross sections somewhat bigger than the jaws, but have just a bit more to cut.

Questions:

1. I have never used Anchorseal. I want to put the sections up in the attic. Will the Anchorseal handle maybe 130 degree temperatures that the attic gets to once in a while?

2. Should I use one of my draw knives and shave off the bark?

3. Should I do something different than this? (I don't have a solar drier.)

(Most of my time is spent on the Neanderthal Forum.)

Thanks and regards,

Stew