Thread: Advise needed, drying sunburst locust

Advise needed, drying sunburst locust

Hi All,

I picked up two small sections of sunburst locust about two weeks ago, freshly cut down, maybe 10" in diameter and one about 12" long, the other about 18" long.

I sawed and split them using a circular saw and splitting wedges, as that was my only choice. My wife and I were leaving for a long trip the next day, so I had almost no options so did what I could. I doped the end grain with latex decking paint and then spar varnish, as I had no other options. I put them in a shed and left them there kind of ricked up, with plenty of air spaces in the rick. The intentions is to use it for hand screw clamp jaws.

I got back and this was the first chance I had to mess with them. I intend to buy some Anchorseal classic, but don't have any now. I have noticed some minor splits, but pretty minor.

This evening, I cut them up into sections with cross sections somewhat bigger than the jaws, but have just a bit more to cut.

Questions:

1. I have never used Anchorseal. I want to put the sections up in the attic. Will the Anchorseal handle maybe 130 degree temperatures that the attic gets to once in a while?

2. Should I use one of my draw knives and shave off the bark?

3. Should I do something different than this? (I don't have a solar drier.)

(Most of my time is spent on the Neanderthal Forum.)

Thanks and regards,

Stew

1) You will have to cut off the latex/varnish mix in order for Anchorseal to penetrate the wood. I would not put the wood in your attic; it's too hot and dry and the wood is likely to split from drying too quickly. I would put it somewhere where it's out of the sun with good air circulation; maybe the shed it's been in would be good. At the end of the Summer bring it into your shop and re sticker it so it can dry down to the MC of your shop. Next Spring it should be OK to use.

2) Yes.

3) Whatever gets the job done.

4) Yes, see 1) above. You don't need a solar drier, just patience.

John