Thread: I think I must be a crotchety old dog . . . .. ...

Blog Entries

I think I must be a crotchety old dog . . . .. ...

I recently re-subscribed to Fine Woodworking. A second copy came to day.
    I didn't find anything in it to really interest me. This is two issues that leave me cold.
    Maybe it is time for me to find a new hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I recently re-subscribed to Fine Woodworking. A second copy came to day.
    I didn't find anything in it to really interest me. This is two issues that leave me cold.
    Maybe it is time for me to find a new hobby.
    IMO the most interesting things about woodworking are the design issues that lead into what you build. There is no end to that (and it consumes about 80 percent of my time, everything else is secondary, tools and techniques etc.) Anybody can build to a template.

Look to the sky, etc.

Blog Entries
    I just need to get in the shop and start making saw dust and shavings.

L'ennui, euh, l'ennui. Sometimes you need a Cato to make it real. Something to be afraid of, something to make things more interesting.

Blog Entries
    What irks me about some of the recent habits of the woodworking magazines is they have something touted on the cover and it is missing inside or something that doesn't live up to the hype.

My magazines are bought off the rack these days. It is fist perused in the store and if it is inadequate in meeting my pleasure, it is returned to the rack.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'll second that. I just got back from a two week Italy trip with my wife and daughters. Before the trip I put off my projects saying I would do them after I got back. Now that I'm back (and mostly recovered) the rain is making it rough to get into the shop so my end table still isn't finished. It supposed to sry put some this after noon and tomorrow before rain returns late in the week. Maybe I can get out into the shop tomorrow after my chiro appointment.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I agree with the OP, nothing much going on with FWW anymore. Used to be a good mag. I cancelled earlier this year. Found out, they send free copies to my barber shop. Same with PWW, no more magazines for me.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.