Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trucks VS Bridge - 11Foot8.com

Back in 88 I had to do a store remodel in Rita WV and on the way to it was a huge bolder that over hung the road with a painted sign Truck Stop. You could see all kinds of paint and chips from trucks hitting it.

Not a bridge, but I worked in Salt Lake a couple of weeks each month years ago. Our branch terminal was just down the street from a Mayflower terminal and a Coke warehouse. On the corner where all the trucks turned was a tall phone junction box with a 6" set back off the street, but almost right on the corner. The phone company repair guys had a real sense of humor. They were constantly replacing the box after it was smashed flat and started putting sticky letters / numbers on each new saying 'Times run over xx'. I started watching it and the last one I saw was 28 times. They finally moved it back to the fence line, but had to dig up the concrete sidewalk to do it.

I used to own part of a paving company in Texas and we were moving a gravel processing plant across town in Kerrville. We had a huge sand separator to move and had mapped out the route with a team of guys to lift wires on the way. When we turned the corner the driver started jamming gears, foot on the mat and clipped all the wires on the last couple of miles North out of town. When he got to I-10 he was supposed to cross over to the other side so that there was enough clearance as the expressway was downhill and taller on one side. He went straight, hit the I-10 bridge, knocked the separator off of the lowboy doing structural damage to the bridge. I-10 was closed in that lane for a month.

After he hit the bridge he pulled the truck over, jumped in his girlfriends car who was waiting for him and was never seen again. We found out later that he was angry that I had bought in to the company as he had been there a long time and had planned this all out, was all packed to move to California and left right after. I still remember seeing the power lines flying and I was about a mile away when he hit the bridge and the noise was still very loud. In the end insurance took care of it and although we got a lot of teasing, business actually picked up. Every one knew who we were then.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I used to own part of a paving company in Texas and we were moving a gravel processing plant across town in Kerrville. We had a huge sand separator to move and had mapped out the route with a team of guys to lift wires on the way. When we turned the corner the driver started jamming gears, foot on the mat and clipped all the wires on the last couple of miles North out of town. When he got to I-10 he was supposed to cross over to the other side so that there was enough clearance as the expressway was downhill and taller on one side. He went straight, hit the I-10 bridge, knocked the separator off of the lowboy doing structural damage to the bridge. I-10 was closed in that lane for a month.

After he hit the bridge he pulled the truck over, jumped in his girlfriends car who was waiting for him and was never seen again. We found out later that he was angry that I had bought in to the company as he had been there a long time and had planned this all out, was all packed to move to California and left right after. I still remember seeing the power lines flying and I was about a mile away when he hit the bridge and the noise was still very loud. In the end insurance took care of it and although we got a lot of teasing, business actually picked up. Every one knew who we were then.
    Man, that guy sounds like a real beaut! He got that mad that you bought in?
    Are you a tough boss Larry?

Seriously, though. It makes a good story now but I'll bet it wasn't one drop funny at the time. Not one drop.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    After he hit the bridge he pulled the truck over, jumped in his girlfriends car who was waiting for him and was never seen again. We found out later that he was angry that I had bought in to the company as he had been there a long time and had planned this all out, was all packed to move to California and left right after.
    Was the guy ever brought to justice on this?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Was the guy ever brought to justice on this?

jtk
    Not that I am aware of. We had another guy quit and when he did he parked a truck with asphalt in it behind a barn and left so we did not find it until it was hard. These are some of the reasons that I work alone these days.........

que? no puedo leer el final

no puedo leer el final