Thread: Need some help selecting Tarp Material.

Need some help selecting Tarp Material.

To All

As the title suggests, I need some help selecting Tarp material. The use is to recover a 10'x20' Shelter Logic Quonset Hut Style building. It's actually, their Equine Runout Shelter.

A replacement cover from Shelter logic for my building is over $400.00 and I know it has a life expectancy of about 5-7 years max, starts leaking at about 3 years,when exposed to full sunlight.
    The "cheap" tarps, $100-$150, from Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc have a 2-3 year life expectancy when exposed to full sunlight.
    I can cover the entire structure for $500-$1000 with corrugated sheet metal, but that looks like a major pain in the butt! and I don't know how I would seal each of those little screw heads. The have O-rings.gasket, when new, but those are going to break down fast,
    I see the Rino-Tex Canvas Tarps would be about $500.00 to cover the shelter. Not having a lot of experience with canvas tarps, these look nice, but I am concerned about UV.
    The Shelter Logic Building is no longer a runout shed for the horse, but I do store all of my garden equipment in it. Nothing exotic, just kind of big. John Deere Tractor, carts, spreaders, snowblowers, etc. That type of stuff.
    I would like to put a quasi-permanent cover on it. A Tarp would be nice, fast, and easy, if one exists. I could easily reapply some type of UV protection periodically.
    Any suggestions for high quality, waterproof, UV protected, tarps?
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-31-2019 at 1:15 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've bought some heavy, white tarps off ebay that have lasted several years, and still seem to be in good shape. I can't remember the mil thickness, but they're a lot thicker than the blue, and better quality silver ones. I think there are a couple of sellers there, and they have a very large range of sizes.

Blog Entries
    I was at a home show recently and I saw a rubberized product being used to refinish metal roofs where the paint and galvanized coating have failed. I don't recall what it was called as I don't have any metal roofs, so I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the product.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The metal roof on our house is about 30 years old and held down with those hex-head screws with flanges and rubber washers with no sign of deterioration. They sometimes back out, especially on the sides exposed to the sun. I've heard of buzzards eating at the washers but I haven't had that problem.

I’d cover it in metal roofing, we put up metal on a screened in porch roof on our cabin 15 years ago and no leaks.

I covered our patio with metal roofing and used color matched screws that come with rubber washers already installed.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You might check with a commercial roofing outfit. Reinforced sheet PVC roofing lasts a long time and is very UV resistant. They might be able to make up a piece for you for a nominal price, or even have a tear off they could give you.

I'm with the metal roof concept...... It would be wise to check with local codes.

They make a rubber membrane roof material that has a 40 year warrenty

+1 on metal roof. Putting it up is fast and easy. Cutting is the only aggravating thing to do. Use a metal blade on circ saw, ear/eye protection, cut on bottom side of metal. Various colors are available.

Your concerns about rubber screw washers is a non issue. Yes they can leak, but I've got metal on buildings 30 years with original screws.

The important thing about screws is screw them on the flats, not the peaks, & do not to torque them too tight.

Too All

Looks like the corrugated metal takes the day.
    I'll look into the various options, but it looks like I can order full lengths from Lowe's. I won't be able to work on it until May/June.

Bill Orbine
    "I'm with the metal roof concept...... It would be wise to check with local codes."

I've been looking into that, and it appears that I need a permit only for 200sq/ft. and less. Looks to be about $175.00 for the permit.

The shelter logic building as is, currently sits on a concrete pad, and old basketball court, and has three, 3" screws, going into drop in anchors at each leg. 18 anchors total. Additionally the four corners are anchored with eyelets, that are screwed into drop in anchors. There are total of 22 anchoring points in concrete for the building as is.
    I plan to shoot the metal covering installation screws into the 1" round, tubular steel, Shelter Logic frame.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

A cheap form of tarp I identified in the United kingdom was an advertising banner sold second hand on e bay. A used banner which had printing on on one side 18 ft by 10 ft cost $20

see link below to understand type of material purchased

https://www.discountdisplays.co.uk/h...c-banners.html