Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why get DW735 planer?

I think the snipe issue is very user- and machine-dependent. I rarely had any snipe with mine, even without the external tables. YMMV.

BTW, here's a review from Jay Bates, who's owned the DW735 for a while. He mentions the snipe problems, bad blades, and concludes it's too much for what it does: plane wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQvaoHN39Qg

The 735 I had didn’t snipe unless my board wasn’t fairly flat. Then it was a off and on.
    I did notice after sharpening the carbide tip knives several times I really didn’t snipe much at all.
    Good planer someday I’ll get another. Lately my projects have been small.
    Aj

I didn't see anyone answer the question about missing out not having something beefier. In short, yes. The Dewalt is a really good portable planer, but it is just that. Any decent stationary machine is going to deliver better performance with less effort and fuss. Milling larger boards is going to be problematic with any portable, even the best one.

I have a 735... it replaced a Delta lunchbox.

It's okay, DC is okay, probably slightly better than most other lunchbox planers... certainly heavier, beefier. It performs better with the extension tables in my experience. But it's still a lunchbox planer... Light passes, slow stock removal... As others have said, I wouldn't spend on a helix head... maybe if you were working with lots of figured wood... but even then...

If you are getting to that, might as well get something bigger and better...

While the planer does have an internal fan that pushes the chips out through the dust collector port, I personally have never used it without connection to a dust collector. I think there isn't really any good way to handle the volume of chips and dust a planer puts out without using a dust collector of some sort. I have a HEPA cyclone but I would assume that, because of the fan exhaust, any dust collector would be sufficient.

Still lumbering along with a 733. The resharpenable blades work out for me. Have a spare set that I send out for sharpening but plan to sharpen myself.

I have the 735 and a 15" 3hp Jet. I end up using the 735 more of the time. I use th 15" Jet when I have heavy planning to do. However, for light passes it leaves marks from the serrated infeed rollers.

When I want to get thinner wood and exact thickness, the 735 is great.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Does the Dewalt 735 need a powered cyclone to work properly? My older Delta 2-speed doesn’t extract the chips fast enough without being hooked to a cyclone to eliminate denting of the wood. I have moved to a much smaller indoor shop and would love to not need to figure out how to mount my cyclone and run power for it.

Dewalt says to not run it with any suction. They say it may cause damage.

I am a hobbyist. I run mine into 5 micron zippered dust bag.

I have run mine for years hooked to a dust collector and no damage or problems.

I had the DW735 for over 5 years and for the money, it can't be beat. I sold it after I bought the PM209HH that I bought after we built a new house and left all the built-ins and book shelves in the study for me to do. If you need to plane rough sawn boards in a hurry you can't do better than the 20" Powermatic.

I spent years peeling boards down 1/32” to 1/16” at a time with my lunchbox planer. I recently upgraded to a 15” G0453 with a Byrd head and don’t miss that noisy, slow, screaming box. The Grizzly recommends a max cut of 1/8” which is automatically twice as fast as the lunchbox. I saw a Powermatic 160 at an auction recently that had a tag saying max cut of a 1/2”. That’s really getting it done!

One thing I think is pretty important to consider when reading all these "reviews" is that most folks don't ever say how much they actually use the planer. I believe this might have some bearing on how owners and users rate the machine. For example, some have said they wish the blades were adjustable up and down instead of just side to side{so they could be sharpened???} If someone wishes for that they either love to piddle setting things up or they are just not using it enough to dull the blades very quickly. I ran a lot of board feet thru mine and found indexable blades to be great. Sharpen the blades??? They are $34.00 a set, why bother??? Having this feature kept me running mine a lot longer than I probably should have given what I did to it. It also kept me from spending money on a Shelix head and doubling what I had in the planer, because if I had to play with dial indicating blades every time they needed replaced I would have had to get the Shelix or a different machine.
    Also consider snipe. Although I have to say the 735 is a very minimal sniping machine, it wasn't zero. Long heavy boards, especially rough cut sawmill lumber would do a little sniping and I had the tables. 5 foot or less in length and I couldn't get mine to snipe.
    I don't use mine much anymore, having bought a 20" PM with a Shelix head. But I wonder why I spent the money sometimes when I consider the high number of boards I plane that will fit in the 735.
    Last edited by Martin Siebert; 04-05-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Everyone with a 735 planer still using straight knives here a very simple jig to sharpen knives. If you have a deep nick it’s probably not going to help.
    The knives come with a 45 degree bevel so cut 3 slots @ 45 so you can hit all bevels at once.
    Stock knives are thin so rip some shims to make up the extra space.
    Infinitys carbide are 1/8 no shims needed.
    I used a cheap smith diamond plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Belleville View Post
    Dewalt says to not run it with any suction. They say it may cause damage.

I am a hobbyist. I run mine into 5 micron zippered dust bag.
    That is exactly what DeWalt tech service told me as well. They recommended the black & decker hose/bag kit for the top of a trash can, which I did purchase and can confirm fits. I found that the top filter on was more screening than filter and would quickly fill my basement shop with fine dust. It does a good job catching the chips however and would be a great job site or outdoor solution.

I ended up cutting a plywood top for a trash can, installing a Rockler cyclone kit in that and using an old filter bag from a DC and that works for me. The blower in the 735 is quite powerful.