Thread: a 6"(about) shaft and adapter that would convert my angle grinder

a 6"(about) shaft and adapter that would convert my angle grinder

a 6"(about) shaft and adapter that would convert my angle grinder to use 2" cup rasps or burrs with 3/8 inch holes.

I'm about googled out. I think Amazon would have it but either they just don't or I'm not using the right search terms. Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Paul

I make adapters for my angle grinder to accept 1/4" shaft sanding mandrels. The process would be the same for 3/8".

I start with 5/8" connecting nuts. These thread onto the grinder's shaft. Into the other end, I thread a 5/8" bolt and thread it down just short of where it would hit the end of the grinder's shaft. I glue that in place. I cut off the bolt flush with the end of the connecting nut. Then, I drill and tap that bolt for 1/4" threaded sanding mandrels. It's cheap and it works very well. You could do the same, but drilling and tapping for 3/8" arbors and you could always join connecting nuts to get the length you need. The ones I buy are about 1".

I have a .pdf document that has pics and more detail, but it's too big to attach here. If you want to see it, PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you. it was done by the late Bill Neddow.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Look into Arbortech's line of products. They sell several tools which extend an angle grinder's arbor. arbortechtools.com

Thanks all. I think I found one. oddly enough, it comes attached to 3/8 jacobs chuck and has a 3/8 threaded shaft that will fit the hole in my cup rasps.

Before I'd turn that thing on, I'd secure it to the bench, and stand back a good ways. Angle grinders run at 12000 rpm, so it is important that anything bolted on to them be well-balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Before I'd turn that thing on, I'd secure it to the bench, and stand back a good ways. Angle grinders run at 12000 rpm, so it is important that anything bolted on to them be well-balanced.
    Chuck came today. Screwed it on the D. grinder, put a 1 inch Kutzall round burr in it(the Extreme) Purrs along like a kitten! Really takes out the wood too and no slowdown regardless of how much pressure I placed on it. Those deWalts are tough! I turned it off after a minute or two and inspected for a loose chuck or burr. Nothing. I really should have put a lock washer over the shaft of the grinder and if I have problems, I will.