Thread: Spraying Interior Window

Spraying Interior Window

I've been working on my kitchen rehab project this Winter. I wasn't sure how to deal with the window over the sink, so I left it hoping it would look OK after I trimmed it out.

The window is pine and the stool is maple. The new ash cabinet doors were done with a shellac based red toner. The bull nose moldings are maple from the original kitchen. I stripped them and refinished them the same as the ash and they look great. I had hoped the natural wood color of the window and stool wouldn't stick out, but it does so I had to do something. I could have replaced the stool with one finished in the shop, but it would have been a pain to remove the old one I would still have to deal with the window and I didn't think I would be able to apply the shellac toner uniformly by hand. So I finally decided the best option was to spray it, just like I did with the doors and trim. Doing that without making a mess, however, was a major concern.

Enter my detail spray gun.

I've had this little gun for 10 years, but only used it a few times. But I figured it would be the best option to do what I wanted here, so I got it out and played around with it on some scrap. I was pretty amazed that I could dial it down to spray something smaller than a quarter without much overspray. In the end, the hardest part of this little project was taping off everything. Here's a shot after two coats of the toner was sprayed on.

The WB clear coats went on just as easily, and when it was done here's what I had. With both the toner and clearcoat I had very little overspray and what there was was just dry powder that was easily wiped off.

For reference, I sprayed the window sash and stool only, the jamb extension and trim had been finished and installed earlier, as shown in the first photo. This is not something I'd want to have to do regularly, but it's good to know that it can be done when other options are limited.

John

Brave man...and excellent result!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good work! It would have been a much worse job without a small spray gun. I really, really like my LPH80.

Thanks. That Iwata gun is the same one in the reference video you linked to a few days ago, isn't it? It sure looks like a great gun for small project work, but they carry a hefty price tag. I took a quick look on Amazon and there are quite a few versions of it offered. What's the difference among them and which do you have?

As an added note on my little window project, I think the cup on my gun holds maybe 150 ml of finish. Spraying two coats of toner I used maybe half a cup full; same with the clearcoats. Amazing. I think it would have been even less had I dialed the pressure down below the 18 psi I used and narrowed the fan even more. I was playing with it later in my shop just spraying DNA and I found I could get amazing atomization down as low as 10 psi inlet pressure. Whether it would do as well with actual finish in it I can't say, but it's worth trying even lower pressure next time when I need to do a similar task. In any case, I'm a lot less afraid to try something like this than I was before.

John

I bought one without any cup, but with an adapter for the PPS system. It's been several years, so I can't remember the name of the place. I do know it was a little less than 300 with two cap sets then. I originally bought it to spray Cerakote on putter heads, but it's been used for a lot more than that since it came here. It came from some seller listed on the Cerakote site.

edited to add: It shows up at about 10 minutes into this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuqo8f_7foU

Here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJEk66sRIXM
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-31-2019 at 10:53 PM.