Thread: Hammer jointer/planer wheels?

Hammer jointer/planer wheels?

I have the wheel kit on my hammer but also have an unused portamate 3500 mobile base. Anyone know if the hammer will fit into the portamate and work without having to purchase extended rails?

Any one have tips on which layout works best for the wheels? It’s tough to move with the wheel kit in confined spaces so I’m thinking the locking wheels to one side but not sure if that will be stable or get in the way when working around it. How did did you set yours up for the hammer or other jointer planer if using this base?

Lastly, does anyone know if the hammer jointer/planer came with 4 feet? I can see the two in front but I don’t see any in back and can’t remember if that’s because of the wheel kit and it only came with 2, or if they are tucked way up under in back and I can’t see them, or if I’ve put them somewhere and need to find them.

Thank you
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-30-2019 at 6:48 PM.

Hi, because of shop layout I changed the axis 90 degrees so I could use it in a narrow area.

The semi live skid design is the best method.

There are only 2 feet in the Hammer mobility kit.....Rod.

My A3-31 fit just fine, no extra rails, on the PM3500

Awesome.

Thanks Rod.

Thanks Chris. That’s just what I was looking for. Going to move mine onto the portamate the same way. The video demonstrates the fit and movement perfectly.

Im getting ready to move mine to the PM3500 rolling base. Do I need a sheet of 3/4” ply under the J/P or are the 4 tabs on the base enough support for the machine? I know the tabs are strong enough but didn’t know if the J/P needed support all the way across or if the 4 corners were fine. I’m assuming so since the Hammer rolling kit held it that way but figured I would ask. Thx.

EDIT: went ahead without plywood. Hopefully this isn’t a problem but let me know of any concerns. Thx.

31B93C6B-BF77-46C9-B0A1-F06199EB5170.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-14-2019 at 1:11 PM.

No problem, the machine is designed to be supported at the corners.....Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    No problem, the machine is designed to be supported at the corners.....Rod
    Thanks Rod.

I put my A3 31 on the Shopfox heavy duty mobile base. Picked up an extra pair of the swivel wheels from Amazon so I have 4 rotating wheels. Had to drill new holes in the non-swivel wheel platforms so they can rotate 360. Now I can move the Hammer in any direction. Makes it much easier to position.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Greg,
    Just go my Hammer A3 31 yesterday. How is the PM 3500 working out for you? The machine is not a perfect rectangle. One of the long sides is 25" and the other is 27 1/4". I was wondering if that caused any issues. Thanks. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Klika View Post
    Greg,
    Just go my Hammer A3 31 yesterday. How is the PM 3500 working out for you? The machine is not a perfect rectangle. One of the long sides is 25" and the other is 27 1/4". I was wondering if that caused any issues. Thanks. Mark
    Mark, I sold my shop back in 2020 but when I had the A3 31 it worked just fine on the PM3500. I put a 3/4" plywood bottom into the base first. If I recall correctly, I pinned the plywood to the base with short self-tapping screws and cut the plywood for a tight fit. Once the Hammer was on it, it was solid as could be and it allowed me to move it in the opposite direction to the Hammer wheel set.

EDIT - looking at my prior post I didn't use plywood on the Hammer. I'm thinking about the bandsaw I had on one of the carts I guess.

Thanks Greg! I ended up going with the 3550 because I figured 4 casters are better than 2 in a tiny shop. It's in place now and I'm impressed with the 3550. Seems beefy enough to me. Thanks again! Mark