Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Next Woodworking Tool Purchase

Your Next Woodworking Tool Purchase

What woodworking tool will you next purchase, big or small? I am looking long term at a dedicated planer, but the 14" Minimax jointer/planer holds its own right now. Small purchases will include router set-up blocks.

Respirator http s://pekesafety.com/products/powercap-active-particulate-papr?variant=31337357738062

Having owned a jointer/planer since 1998, I’m a big fan of the jointer capacity and planer performance.

That said I just bought an Aigner shaper accessory so I’m broke😀

Regards, Rod

I personally prefer a separate jointer and planer. My next tool purchase will either be a dovetail machine or stand alone pocket hole machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    I personally prefer a separate jointer and planer. My next tool purchase will either be a dovetail machine or stand alone pocket hole machine.
    I do as well Mitch, I just don’t have room for a 12” jointer and a planer……Regards, Rod.

My next machinery move will be selling. I have more than I need and I turn 70 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Small purchases will include router set-up blocks.
    I just purchased a (budget) set recently and I'm annoyed I waited so long. It's simplified a number of things beyond the router table, and I've found myself reaching for them frequently. Also just recently purchased a Festool dust extractor, which again, was a revelation. Told myself for a couple years the shop vac was "good enough", and then was amazed by the difference.

Next up for me is a better sander. Likely a Bosch GET75-6N, as I can't quite justify a Mirka Deros.

Patrick, buying a Festool dust extractor and sander was also a revelation for me……Regards, Rod

As my days of doing handwork, are rapidly coming to a close. (My hands shake like a willow tree) I just purchased a pantorouter. I’m looking forward to putting it through its paces.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I guess that my next tool purchases would be pegged to getting a new shop building up and at that point I'll need a new cyclone (I sold the old one so I didn't have to pay to store it) and a new slider. (I sold the old one because it wouldn't fit in my temporary shop nor was it cost effective to move a 1500 lb machine twice and also pay for storage)

I grab little doo-dads from time to time that are project specific. Case in point...two cabinet lifts last week which I used to install the new ventilation hood in the kitchen by myself. They will undoubtedly get more use when the shop building is up, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have (more than?) enough. It's been a number of years I've stopped buying (serious) tools and I am not using what I have as much, only occasionally. Life has changed and don't spend as much time in the shop (SWMBO keeps saying I should get rid of some of my tools but that's not going to happen....).

Slider.....

Hmmm, probably a stationary sander. Don't have space nor budget for a wide belt, so will likely be a drum. But it's a ways off.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I think it's time to get my big boy lathe. I've been looking at the new Rikon (online only, not hands on). But it's a chunk of change, so I don't know if that's the answer yet. Have also been thinking about building a detached shop. Kinda tired of moving material up/down stairs to the basement.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

A tungsten carbide burnishing rod for card scraper preparation. I have a new-in-box DFM scraper set and while insomniac on Thurs. morning "reasoned" that mating these with a proper burnisher would be a great idea. McMaster-Carr obliged and as usual the order comes so fast that I'll have it today. I know that I don't require an 80 HRC burnisher for a 50 HRC plate but here's hoping there's magic, though just fun will be satisfactory.